Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Coffeemakers

RFI: Coffeemakers

Well, I finally convinced my wife to give up the piece of shit MrCoffee in the kitchen and get a real coffee maker something 21st century.

Here's what I want:

High quality (read: minimal plastic, lots of metal, to make it easier to clean and reduce shitty coffee taste)
    Insulated carafe
    Single-serve option (ideally a side port w/k-cup, but side-port with single-serving ground basket is fine)
    Programmable
    Price = Don't care as long as it's under 500 bucks.

Here's what she wants:

Easy to clean
    Cheap

___

My wife is a notorious cheapskate and prefers drinking shitty coffee from two days ago rather than "let it go to waste". Me, I won't drink a pot that is over two hours old, I'll make a fresh one (life is too short to drink bad coffee). Hence my desire to have a multi-cup carafe and a single-serving. She also buys shitty, cheap, coffee and I only buy high quality, locally roasted beans. As such, I don't want a plastic filter cup that leaves the flavor of her shitty coffee mingling with my good stuff.

I can't stress this enough - I don't care what it costs - I want a high quality maker that will last a long time, and provide marital bliss. Seriously, coffee is about the only thing we ever fight about.

ETA: We could "compromise" (according to my wife), by buying a maker with a built in grinder. That way we can just fight about the quality of the beans that go into it...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Get your wife a Keurig and get yourself a French Press and drink coffee like a real man.

Brewer Techivorm. Grinder Baratza Encore. Happy coffee!
    Last edited by SD; 03-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Brewer Techivorm. Grinder Baratza Encore. Happy coffee!
    The Technivorm is a cool looking drip coffee maker and makes excellent coffee due to the higher temperature that it heats the water compared to most drip coffee makers. If you can deal with more plastic, Bonavita makes a brewer that works just as well at a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Get your wife a Keurig and get yourself a French Press and drink coffee like a real man.
    ^This man has the right answer. French press is the easiest to clean/maintain, and you can have them in glass or metal as you see fit, as well as single serve and larger options. I have a single serve one that I use for my morning cup with breakfast during the week (I get up way earlier than my wife), and a larger one that gets used when we want coffee together.

I realize you said you don't care about price, but French presses are also relatively cheap, so that's a side benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    The Technivorm is a cool looking drip coffee maker and makes excellent coffee due to the higher temperature that it heats the water compared to most drip coffee makers. If you can deal with more plastic, Bonavita makes a brewer that works just as well at a fraction of the price.
    This.

The Bonavita is legit coffee snob approved to be on par with the Technivorm.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

If you get coffee at one of the popular, high end places here in San Francisco like St Frank's, Sightglass or Blue Bottle, they just use a pour over system which is merely a kettle and dripper. The Hario kettle and dripper are made in Japan and cost about $85 together.

https://youtu.be/qzYdJdnxZD0

Fellow is a very popular company selling pour over coffee stuff.

https://fellowproducts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My wife is too cheap to buy K-Cups. That's how cheap she is. She'd drink Folgers, if I let that shit in the house.

I have a French Press and make coffee stronger and blacker than a Southern Black Woman in it. My wife uses it sometimes and fucks it up. Seriously...she somehow never remembers coarse ground coffee goes in the French Press.

But a lot of times, I want a cup and getting the French Press out and going through everything to make one cup of coffee is a hassle. So it would be nice to have something I could use for myself, without needing a whole other appliance.

PS: Yes I know there are single serving French Presses, but I'd also need the kettle for water, etc. And frankly, I have highly limited brain power most mornings before 10 am.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.

RFI: Coffeemakers

Breville BKE830XL The IQ Kettle Pure, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2OI2KC/

Frieling USA Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker, 36-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009ADDS/

About $250 total. Way easier and better than any automatic coffee maker. Add a good burr grinder and you’ve got coffee perfection
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-24-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I just use a single cup Keurig with a K Cup so I can grind my own beans, because like you, I'm totally off the mass produced Folgers type shit.

If I really want to get crazy I break out the Bialetti, but that's a routine I don't like going through due to the hassle. If I make a Bialetti pot I have to reduce it with about 125% hot water to drink it, but the flavor is sure extracted well in them. Bialetti pots are also very reasonably priced and never wear out.

User Tag List