Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Coffeemakers

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Doesn’t need to. I’ve had good luck with the the Hario Skerton and Skerton Pro on Amazon. Hand burr grinder. Price range 39.50 to about 58 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Next, your grinder is going to cost more than your brewing method.

RFI: Coffeemakers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Doesn’t need to. I’ve had good luck with the the Hario Skerton and Skerton Pro on Amazon. Hand burr grinder. Price range 39.50 to about 58 bucks.
    Hand grinding is great, until you have to do it for a whole host of people. When it was just for me and a French press, I also used a Hario.

On water again, different mineral content can bring out different tastes. This is true in coffee as well as in brewing beer. It can also affect the foaming.
    Last edited by Coyote41; 03-24-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Usually I use our keurig but sometimes I breakout my hario grinder and the French press. I have a bialetti moka pot too and I plan to get an old stove top perculator to try out. I need a good source of beans online.

Banned
    I guess. But I hand grind enough for 10 cups of coffee every morning because that’s my daily starting dose. So.....it wouldn’t be a big deal to do it twice or three times in a day if we had coffee loving guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Hand grinding is great, until you have to do it for a whole host of people. When it was just for me and a French press, I also used a Hario.

On water again, different mineral content can bring out different tastes. This is true in coffee as well as in brewing beer. It can also affect the foaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I need a good source of beans online.
    Costco Ruta Maya medium is usually pretty good and they seem to turn over enough inventory that it’s fairly fresh. It’s nothing special but it’s good for the money.

Small local roasting operations are usually the best band for the buck. It’s finding someone that knows someone that’s an issue.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Costco Ruta Maya medium is usually pretty good and they seem to turn over enough inventory that it’s fairly fresh. It’s nothing special but it’s good for the money.

Small local roasting operations are usually the best band for the buck. It’s finding someone that knows someone that’s an issue.
    I tried their decaf (I'm drinking coffee right up until bed, but I quit the caffeinated stuff at 2 o'clock), wasn't bad.

Costco coffee is very fresh, but the bulk might make it an issue depending on how much you drink. I can tear through 6 pounds of coffee beans in 22 days (according to the math), so it doesn't get too old on me.

https://www.costco.com/whole-bean-coffee.html

My favorite has been the Costa Rica blend.
    Last edited by Jay585; 03-24-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

https://youtu.be/0QGnWnFWoxA
    This thread reminded me of the pulp fiction scene.
    Last edited by SafetyFirst; 03-24-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You bought Konis for your coffee!
    It's alright, I've got yellow Konis on the car parked outside and a set of red Konis for the British moneypit.

Besides, what's expendable income for, if not for buying yourself fancy shit. I can't take it with me, but I'll enjoy it now. Besides, who knows, when I'm dead the Technivorm may still be working or rebuildable and one of the kids will want it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You bought Konis for your coffee!
    I meant that as a good thing. I have Bilsteins on two of my cars; would have them on the third if I could figure out how to get a set imported. Had T.C. Kline Konis on my BMW and yellows on my Miata. A mix of red and yellow on my 510. The guy who's in charge of production-based Koni apps in North America is a friend of mine.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    Begin non coffee related digression: Is that Lee Grimes from Koni? Awesome person. Idk what he does for them other than support at races like solo nationals, but he’s awesome. He whipped up some konis for a clapped out 72 dodge coronet some crazies road raced with Lemons back in the day, which I also got to drive.

I’ve been using Konis all my life, just about, following my dad I guess. One national autocross title on them, one road race season. Both the race cars are on MCS now (2 way on both, with remote canister on the Subaru which won her second national title on those), but have yellows on my 25 year old daily and the strt model on my wife’s car, probably will go on the truck, too. Definitely a fan.

End non coffee related digression

I meant that as a good thing. I have Bilsteins on two of my cars; would have them on the third if I could figure out how to get a set imported. Had T.C. Kline Konis on my BMW and yellows on my Miata. A mix of red and yellow on my 510. The guy who's in charge of production-based Koni apps in North America is a friend of mine.

User Tag List