Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Highwaymen

I just wayched the show and liked it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I finally loaded the Netflix app into my iPad Pro, and watched this one, twice. I really enjoyed it. Some dramatic license, to be sure, but I enjoyed it.

I am no Frank Hamer, no Manny Gault, and no Ranger, but, if the Texas Governor were to offer me a piece of paper, directly commissioning me to pursue those who have murdered LEOs, or who have murdered other good folks, I would come out of retirement, in a heartbeat, and get on the road. (My peace officer’s license is still current.) I never want to do regular policin’ again, but I would gladly hunt the worst of the worst, pursuing fresh intel and hot tips. Fantasy, yes, I know, but, “I am willing.”
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I watched it last weekend. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

If this doesn't make you want to watch it, nothing will.

I have been doing some reading. The dramatic/artistic license was much, much worse than I had thought. It was/is still an enjoyable movie, but, mercy, if the truth is good, on its own, well, keep the script true.

The most obvious is one I caught while watching the movie, when the Methvin kid was given a pass for murdering the Texas Trooper. I very much doubted that Texas would give him a pass for that one. Sure enough, the Methvin kid did not kill the Texas Trooper. (I believe that he was involved in killing the Oklahoma lawmen, which would be an Oklahoma case, not a Texas case.)

Then, there was the ”Candelario” incident, which was pure fiction. The Porvenir incident was a presumed basis for the Candelario story, as those locations are near each other, and involved fifteen, not 50+ fatalities. I could not find any source that indicated Hamer or Gault were involved in that one. I did find one story involving six bootleggers being killed, but Maney Gault was not present, for that one.

Trivia: Notably, Gladys Hamer successfully sued for defamation, after the Beatty/Dunaway movie “Bonnie and Clyde.” Of course, she is not around, today, so dramatic license can do its thing, unimpeded.

E.T.A.: To be clear, I am not being an apologist for anyone.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-01-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have been doing some reading. The dramatic/artistic license was much, much worse than I had thought. It was/is still an enjoyable movie, but, mercy, if the truth is good, on its own, well, keep the script true.

The most obvious is one I caught while watching the movie, when the Methvin kid was given a pass for murdering the Texas Trooper. I very much doubted that Texas would give him a pass for that one. Sure enough, the Methvin kid did not kill the Texas Trooper. (I believe that he was involved in killing the Oklahoma lawmen, which would be an Oklahoma case, not a Texas case.)

Then, there was the ”Candelario” incident, which was pure fiction. The Porvenir incident was a presumed basis for the Candelario story, as those locations are near each other, and involved fifteen, not 50+ fatalities. I could not find any source that indicated Hamer or Gault were involved in that one. I did find one story involving six bootleggers being killed, but Maney Gault was not present, for that one.

Trivia: Notably, Gladys Hamer successfully sued for defamation, after the Beatty/Dunaway movie “Bonnie and Clyde.” Of course, she is not around, today, so dramatic license can do its thing, unimpeded.

E.T.A.: To be clear, I am not being an apologist for anyone.
    If you know the real story, then all movies made to spoon feed the audiencie tend to be a disappointment because they usually go full retard trying to embellish the story...

At least it was not like watching a WWII panzer division entirely armed with sherman tanks
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 07-02-2019 at 06:49 AM.

User Tag List