Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacher training day

Site Supporter

Teacher training day

https://www.policeone.com/active-sho...-went-too-far/

"During the active shooter drill, four teachers at a time were taken into a room, told to crouch down and were shot execution style with some sort of projectiles – resulting in injuries to the extent that welts appeared, and blood was drawn,” the ISTA tweeted Wednesday evening.

They shot all of us across our backs. I was hit four times. It hurt so bad.
    Bill proposed to ban such.

There's a point if the folks weren't told that the airsoft guns could do such or it was a surprise. However, I regard them as less than stand up folks. I've had welts and blood from airsoft but I signed up for that! When I came home with a truly bruised and scabbed back - fully auto gun - ouch (hint - wear a heavier shirt) - my wife said I was a crazy old toot to do such. Being a stupid male, I thought it was cool when in the gym, my fellow academics asked if I fell down and I said I was in a big FOF. Ego!!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.policeone.com/active-sho...-went-too-far/

Bill proposed to ban such.

There's a point if the folks weren't told that the airsoft guns could do such or it was a surprise. However, I regard them as less than stand up folks. I've had welts and blood from airsoft but I signed up for that! When I came home with a truly bruised and scabbed back - fully auto gun - ouch (hint - wear a heavier shirt) - my wife said I was a crazy old toot to do such. Being a stupid male, I thought it was cool when in the gym, my fellow academics asked if I fell down and I said I was in a big FOF. Ego!!
    This was stupid and I can’t see any training value in training mock executions. If I was the chief of that agency those officers would be looking at days on the beach.

Site Supporter
    I was in one where we all got shot like that too, but we were supposed to be hiding in place, in a lockdown. We weren’t allowed to resist when the shooter broke through the door. It was supposed to show us the resistance is better than pacifism in the face of violence. But nobody appreciated getting shot with the stupid guns.

Most of us got welts, and a few bled.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I was in one where we all got shot like that too, but we were supposed to be hiding in place, in a lockdown. We weren’t allowed to resist when the shooter broke through the door. It was supposed to show us the resistance is better than pacifism in the face of violence. But nobody appreciated getting shot with the stupid guns.

Most of us got welts, and a few bled.
    There is no training value towards teaching resistance if you weren’t allowed to fight back to avoid getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This was stupid and I can’t see any training value in training mock executions. If I was the chief of that agency those officers would be looking at days on the beach.
    The teachers will be suing for intentional emotional harm shortly, and they will win.

Site Supporter
    Scripting the resistance takes some effort and pretraining, obviously. At the NTI - we weren't able to actually contact someone. If you managed to touch a firearm and yell - disarm - the shooter had to give up the gun.

We were searched for all weapons - knives, nasty flashlights, etc - so we didn't accidentally lose it. The referees were on top of you. I disarmed a 'terrorist' with a Sims gun, shot said person and the ref yelled stop. There was one dispute where a guy fired a shot after the 'stop'. I don't think was it was malacious but the flow of the moment. It started a real nasty yelling incident.

Scripting resistance and gear for teachers would be intense and difficult. That doesn't say it isn't a good idea.

I'm a teacher and an ALICE certified instructor for my school. These cops broke ALICE protocols in using airsoft for this exercise.

I'm the first to admit that the majority of people in my profession are "snowflakes" and all that jazz. However, these cops screwed up pretty badly. "Executing" victims in groups of four and the use of airsoft for these particular exercises is nowhere to be found in the ALICE Training materials.

This outlines some of my own experience with ALICE, and I plan to write more now that I'm actively teaching this stuff:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...9-18-04-10-18/
    Last edited by 43Under; 03-23-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no training value towards teaching resistance if you weren’t allowed to fight back to avoid getting shot.
    Fighting back came later.

It was ALICE. The part I didn’t like most was when the cop said if one of us had disarmed a shooter and had the gun in hand when he came through the door, he’d shoot us.

I get that it might be hard to differentiate from not knowing what’s going on, but I still don’t like that. They want us to not pick up the gun, put it under a trash can, and have someone sit on it to secure it. That works if it’s a pistol. I guess. But not for a long gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Fighting back came later.

It was ALICE. The part I didn’t like most was when the cop said if one of us had disarmed a shooter and had the gun in hand when he came through the door, he’d shoot us.

I get that it might be hard to differentiate from not knowing what’s going on, but I still don’t like that. They want us to not pick up the gun, put it under a trash can, and have someone sit on it to secure it. That works if it’s a pistol. I guess. But not for a long gun.
    As the homies say - “Life’s a rusk carnal.”

There is a significant risk you will be shot by responding officers if you have a gun in hand during an active shooter incident. A friend of mine is on the ODMP after being shot by a uniformed officer while he was responding to a shooting while in plain clothes with a badge on a chain around his neck.

Along the same lines we recently did low light scenario based training and as a role player with a badge visible and pointing my finger (no weapon in hand or on my person) I was shot by a responding officer.

Off topic we found badges were not a great help in identification whether on the belt or a chain while “police” ashes like those from DSM were very effective.

Since there really is no such thing as a "public" school (they are, after all, "Government Schools"), then require (and enforce with penalty for insubordination) all school staff to wear high-contrast, very visible uniforms. Uniforms have been used for millennia to distinguish friend from foe.

User Tag List