Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Gen 5?

Upgrade to Gen 5?

Current situation:

I own several Glock 19.3 (five), a single G26.3, a single G23.3 w/spare .357Sig bbl, a G30.3 and a AA .22 conversion.

Is there enough performance upgrade in accuracy/recoil control/durability in the Gen 5 to warrant a wholesale conversion?

I would be selling/trading all the G19.3 and the G26.3 to get G19.5 and a G26.5.

I am not sure about doing anything with the G23 as I have had it since the late '90s and at least during the last crisis I was able to get .357 Sig and sometimes .40 S&W when I otherwise couldn't get 9mm. However, I could use the proceeds from the sale of the G23 to get more 9mm so I don't run out.

While I don't dislike my Gen 3 Glock 19s, I have never been 100% satisfied with my accuracy with them. I have actually found the accuracy of my G23 to be higher than that of the G19s on average for whatever reason.

What is the collective wisdom at this point?

I think the GEN5 is a significant improvement to the GEN3, but I'm not sure a "wholesale conversion" is required. Still, five 19.3s is more than enough. Trade a 19.3 and the 23 to get into a GEN5 and see if the juice is worth the squeeze before selling the whole lot.

The GEN5 offers a significant upgrade over a GEN3 between the superior lockup, marksman barrel, enhanced grip texture, and backstrap options. If you're a lefty then a GEN5 is even more appealing.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

IMO, as a lefty it would be worth it for the ambi slide release and the improved barrel.

If you're right handed? Not really worth it.

"I have never been 100% satisfied with my accuracy with them." Have you tried getting an aftermarket barrel?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    IMO, as a lefty it would be worth it for the ambi slide release and the improved barrel.

If you're right handed? Not really worth it.

"I have never been 100% satisfied with my accuracy with them." Have you tried getting an aftermarket barrel?
    I am right handed.

I haven't tried an aftermarket barrel.

I have owned at least 2 more G19.3 in addition to the 5 that I own now and I have never been impressed with the accuracy. I still shoot that old G23 better on average. I have no idea why. I have killed multiple rabbits with the old G23 over the years at various ranges and can routinely pop a 100 yd gong with it. I wouldn't even attempt a rabbit shot with the G19 and the last time I was out with buddies messing around I missed more gongs that I hit at 100'ish yards. The G19s are still good enough for reasonable defensive uses but not what I would like to have.

I like the idea of testing the waters. I have a Beretta 92 that is on the chopping block that I could sell/trade for a Gen 5 and try that out. I had been plotting trying out a CZ75 but maybe the Gen5 would be a better attempt.

Are the triggers different enough between the Gen 3 and the Gen 5 that using a Gen 3 AA conversion would be a waste of time? Any collector value on a very early AA conversion? I bought one when they first released them.

I have been issued a G3 G19 for several years. Recently I was issued a G5 G17.

While there is nothing wrong with either gun, and I prefer the 19 size from an overall dual purpose (duty/conceal) standpoint....

I am giving the G17 back. I shot both in quals last week, and the G3 19 performed equally to the G5 17. I am not discounting anything from the newer piece...out of the box this G17 felt good but I found no difference on paper.

Maybe a G5 19 would be my taste.

Now I would like to be issued a Gen 5 G19 FS MOS.... but I dont think the dept would buy that for me.

This piece is my personal G4 19.... I dont plan on dumping this one for a G5. Its a shooter, but I would like to find someone that will G5 the front strap while retaining the factory look. I may be out of luck on that part. I dont like finger grooves with my big paws.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ve considered this myself. I haven’t even fired a gen 5 yet, but it seems like everything I do to tweak my Gen 3’s (barrel, remove finger grooves) is addressed with the Gen 5 OTB.

I also own and have owned multiple Gen 3 19’s & 17’s, accuracy with a factory barrel was never bad but varied from “combat accurate” to very good, I think it’s just a crap shoot as to which parts end up in which slides/frames.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think the GEN5 is a significant improvement to the GEN3, but I'm not sure a "wholesale conversion" is required. Still, five 19.3s is more than enough. Trade a 19.3 and the 23 to get into a GEN5 and see if the juice is worth the squeeze before selling the whole lot.

The GEN5 offers a significant upgrade over a GEN3 between the superior lockup, marksman barrel, enhanced grip texture, and backstrap options. If you're a lefty then a GEN5 is even more appealing.
    This^^^^ Or, better yet, see if you can find a range that has one to rent, and take it for a test drive..if you don't like it you're only out a rental fee.

Of the Gen 3/4/5 G19's I have owned None shot as well for me at 25 yards slow fire as my Gen 5 G17 or Gen 5 G34.
    Longer sight radius on full size Glocks such as G17/G34 work best for me at 25 yards. YMMV

No I would not and I own gen 5 pistols.

I’ll give a different point of view.

You have 5 gen 3 g19s? I would keep all of them and not worry about if the grass is greener on the other side. If you have pre 2009 gen 3 19s you have some of the best guns that Glock produced.

Try a fitted Bar-sto in one. Pricey..yes, but it is the best. You could chop one of them to g26 size to give you a smaller carry option.

I think you have a ideal setup, you have a battery of g19s, you cannot go wrong. Like Doc says”the just focus on training and proficiency”

Upgrade to Gen 5?

I think one Gen 5 is worth trying. I didn’t really love shooting my Glock until I removed the finger grooves, even though I never felt that they were terrible in the first place. The obvious part is to try one before dumping all of your Gen 3s. As soon as Glock removes that half moon cut and puts FCS on all of their 19s, I’ll probably buy two along with two 45s. The only thing I wish they’d do differently after that is thin the triggerguard out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.

User Tag List