Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle is Dying (local news program)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Seattle and east side attracts a lot of techy types. There's a lot of tech there and some pretty good jobs. When I say good, I mean 200-300K. That's about what it takes to live in or close to Seattle. The house I purchased on the east side in 1978 for 157K is now listed on Zillow for 725K. I know someone who sold a house on the east side for 500K in 2006. That same house well over a million now.
    In other words Seattle is now where the Bay Area was 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    price of homes isn't really an indicator that someone *wants* to live there because of the city. They may choose to live there because the pay is good, or the weather, or whatever, but it's not the 1:1 you're making it out to be.
    Economics isn’t your strong suit, I see. Since no one is being forced at gunpoint to live in Seattle, everyone living there chooses to. If they “wanted” to live somewhere else, they would. (I don’t know why “wants” needed to be in quotes but oh well)

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Economics isn’t your strong suit, I see. Since no one is being forced at gunpoint to live in Seattle, everyone living there chooses to. If they “wanted” to live somewhere else, they would. (I don’t know why “wants” needed to be in quotes but oh well)
    I don't know the extent of the impact, but the out-flow of Chinese assets to the Pacific Northwest is relevant -- for sure in BC and there appears to be spillover in to the Seattle area as well. That doesn't indicate a desire to live in Seattle so much as a desire to move assets to a place with more rule-of-law. Which is to say that there are multiple drivers of demand. In the Bay Area it is common to hear people complain about the "homeless" (i.e. drug and shitting in the street) problems, but in the next breath say that they can't imagine moving away. It sure has hollowed out the middle class in both places.
    Last edited by 1911nerd; 03-23-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Honestly at this point I say good riddance to the wealthy liberal elites of the west coast. I hope they reap what they sowed and all die when the breaking point comes.
    Agree 100% with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We are dealing with the same situation here in Portland.
    San Fran > LA> Seattle >Portland > Denver - in that order are the hipster places that have become dumps. I wonder what they all have in common...
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

In the 3rd world hellholes I'm familiar with, the real estate prices are exorbitant, because there's only so many safe neighborhoods.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This. ^^^

It’s not dying, it’s just becoming the third world. Immense wealth and luxury in the midst of favelas.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-23-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I worked north of there about 15 years ago, it was heading downhill then. Only place I worked where you had to get a search warrant to search a stolen vehicle for evidence because the guy who stole the car had a right to privacy in the vehicle. Also, testified in a case up there and had a judge ask me why he should believe me over the people involved in the case. I told him because I'm the only person who doesn't have a dog in the hunt. I got called there and this is what I saw and did.

Saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out of there. Best decision I ever made.

I don't see this improving either. There are solutions of course, but all I see are more social programs being implemented that are only going to exacerbate the problem.

As the video pointed out transient and homeless are moving into the area by the bus load. The word is out that you can live on the street and not be hassled for using drugs or alcohol in public.

It isn't just Seattle. It's the entire tri county area of King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. Basically the metro area and the surrounding small towns and suburbs. Eight people a day overdose on opioids in Snohomish county. People I know have druggies squatting near their property miles from town. The nat'l forests around here are full of homeless in the summer. They move out of the cities when the weather warms up and move back in during the winter months. Just about any place you can drive to that's public property you will find them living in vehicles. The sheriffs call them the motor homeless.

I'm not seeing any yet where I live but I know people who are dealing with it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-23-2019 at 07:37 PM.

User Tag List