Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle is Dying (local news program)

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Seattle is somewhere that nobody wants to move.
    One look at housing prices in Seattle proves your statement is false. It may eventually come to that, but it’s not there yet.
    Last edited by BigD; 03-23-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I used to live in N. Seattle in the 70's. Property crime was bad even back in those days. I moved to the east side in 78 and it was livable. I regularly went to N. Seattle in the 90's and the drug dealing was out of control even then. After being hassled by drug dealers around 1990 I secured a carry permit and armed myself. Moved out of the area in 95. Seattle is about an hour away for me now but I won't go into the city, just thru it on my way someplace else.

Not too long ago Seattle tried to tax Amazon to address the homeless (drug) problem. More or less a plan to get private businesses to buy the homeless more drugs and get them off the street. That didn't go over real well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ess/698575002/

So I think the city/county will either have to address it or Seattle will become the homeless/drug mecca of the US if it isn't already.

Thanks for posting that. It's a real eye opener if you aren't from around here.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-23-2019 at 12:22 PM.

I have hired two people in the last year that were tech refugee's from Seattle.

They reached out, flew down on Southwest, and got hired.

.........and Seattle is somewhere that nobody wants to move to.
    Actually that isn't true. If it were real estate prices would be dropping, which they aren't. Seattle has one of the hottest real estate markets in the country right now. Lots of high rises going up and a lot of those are apartments. It's even affecting my real estate and I'm 70 miles north.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Best quote:

"And you may be wondering how come they aren’t showing any of the positive responses on the police survey...

There weren’t any."
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@HCM, how many of those RVs do you want to bet are from cops sleeping on short turnaround shifts because they can't afford to live within 2-3 hours of their work? lol.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    One look at housing prices in Seattle proves your statement is false. It may eventually come to that, but it’s not there yet.
    price of homes isn't really an indicator that someone *wants* to live there because of the city. They may choose to live there because the pay is good, or the weather, or whatever, but it's not the 1:1 you're making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have hired two people in the last year that were tech refugee's from Seattle.

They reached out, flew down on Southwest, and got hired.
    Seattle and east side attracts a lot of techy types. There's a lot of tech there and some pretty good jobs. When I say good, I mean 200-300K. That's about what it takes to live in or close to Seattle. The house I purchased on the east side in 1978 for 157K is now listed on Zillow for 725K. I know someone who sold a house on the east side for 500K in 2006. That same house well over a million now.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-23-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Seattle is Dying (local news program)

Unless there are measures to discourage this lifestyle, it will continue to grow.

In the city centers:
    -No camping or long term parking
    -No panhandling
    -No services, including church soup kitchens

Move all shelters and services to the outskirts, segregate families from the rest of the squatters, prohibit alcohol and drugs.

Provide one way transportation to regions with lower cost of living and greater job opportunities for low wage workers.

Generally make life boring and mildly unpleasant for vagrants, while providing services for those truly in need.

I’d pay more taxes to support that, and I bet companies would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...6trgbEnZ-Oz5i0

Skid Road: How California's army of homeless has turned the state's richest boulevards into RV parks as exorbitant rents force families and full-time workers to live on four wheels

California has seen a proliferation in RV and vehicle living in some of the state’s most expensive areas and cities, such as Palo Alto, in recent years

The rise of mobile homes lining streets has been fueled by excessive rents and house prices, though numbers are hard to pin down

RV dwellers include families priced out of neighborhoods who want to keep their children in the same school districts and full-time, salaried workers

Sleeping in vehicles remains illegal in many places across California, which is attempting to financially support more services for the homeless and displaced

The Golden State is home to about 12 percent of the US population and a disproportionate amount of the nation's homeless at 22 percent

The situation has become so dire that grassroots organizations and non-profits such as SafeParkingLA have sprung up to identify and set up safe parking areas

The growing problem has sparked a cottage industry of RV and vehicle 'landlords' who rent out everything from bunks in camper vans to box trucks
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-23-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @HCM, how many of those RVs do you want to bet are from cops sleeping on short turnaround shifts because they can't afford to live within 2-3 hours of their work? lol.
    On the street ? None.

I saw what you are talking about 15 years ago in CA. At that time it was mostly cops parking them in PD station lots and airline folks parking them in long term parking.

Now it is the working poor who have been completely priced out of the housing market, even apartments.

Honestly at this point I say good riddance to the wealthy liberal elites of the west coast. I hope they reap what they sowed and all die when the breaking point comes.

User Tag List