Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle is Dying (local news program)

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    C'mon back when you can - we can always use more gun-friendly voters.
    Assuming I do ER, Hennepin Co. will be high on my match list.

The only way I see the Seattle homeless and drug addict problem getting fixed is through vigilantism. Which means, given the kind of people who live there, it will never happen.

You couldn't get me to move to a major American metropolis for any amount of money.

When I have to visit Shitcago my skin just crawls.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-24-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Assuming I do ER, Hennepin Co. will be high on my match list.
    Cool - the Twin Cities is really a pretty nice place to live, apart from the nonsense we call "winter."

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The only way I see the Seattle homeless and drug addict problem getting fixed is through vigilantism. Which means, given the kind of people who live there, it will never happen.
    Or locked up and tranquilized in mental institutions. Permanently.
    According to some reading up I did today It was the left that pushed for closing the mental institutions. Their thinking was they could be treated with drugs at local community centers and function in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Or locked up and tranquilized in mental institutions. Permanently.
    According to some reading up I did today It was the left that pushed for closing the mental institutions. Their thinking was they could be treated with drugs at local community centers and function in society.
    It's a little more complex than that. For decades (from roughly JFK to Carter) there was an effort to move institutionalized mentally ill patients back into the community, both to reduce the fiscal burden on our country and so families could be reunited with their loved ones. This culminated with the signing of the Mental Health Systems Act by Jimmy Carter in 1980, which restructured these ongoing community based treatment efforts. In '81, Reagan repeals this legislation in an omnibus budget act, effectively ending the feddy govt's role in directly providing mental healthcare.

On top of this, the reimbursement structure in psychiatry is such that there are simply very few resources for those who aren't either destitute and a proven danger to self/others (state support) or who are massively wealthy (can go anywhere of course). Inpatient mental healthcare is extremely resource intensive and was something our country moved away from for a reason. However, where we are at now is inarguably far worse than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You couldn't get me to move to a major American metropolis for any amount of money.

When I have to visit Shitcago my skin just crawls.
    That's where I'm at. I've left Atlanta for Orlando, then left Orlando for a smaller town "within commuting distance" to keep the higher wage career, but the better home life. My commuting distance is about to grow, because even at 90min one way to MCO the urban sprawl in my area is suffocating...as well as the issues and city planners that go with it.

For the record, I used to love to go to SEA & Whidbey Island NAS for work. I found the area beautiful and the people generally nice to deal with. My last trip there, almost 7 years ago, involved issues that I didn't expect in that area. Someone compared SEA to SFO, I'd counter and say it reminded me of an agriculturally greener LAX. And to think I wanted to move there and my ex-fiance actually did thinking we could re-spark something...

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    That's where I'm at. I've left Atlanta for Orlando, then left Orlando for a smaller town "within commuting distance" to keep the higher wage career, but the better home life. My commuting distance is about to grow, because even at 90min one way to MCO the urban sprawl in my area is suffocating...as well as the issues and city planners that go with it.

For the record, I used to love to go to SEA & Whidbey Island NAS for work. I found the area beautiful and the people generally nice to deal with. My last trip there, almost 7 years ago, involved issues that I didn't expect in that area. Someone compared SEA to SFO, I'd counter and say it reminded me of an agriculturally greener LAX. And to think I wanted to move there and my ex-fiance actually did thinking we could re-spark something...
    That's how I feel as well. I really miss living in a town, not a city. A hundred thousand give or take 25k is a nice size. I would move back to Rochester without hesitation. It was a pleasant place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's how I feel as well. I really miss living in a town, not a city. A hundred thousand give or take 25k is a nice size. I would move back to Rochester without hesitation. It was a pleasant place to live.
    How long till you can go get a doctor job of your choosing in such a place?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How long till you can go get a doctor job of your choosing in such a place?
    Roughly ~200 years :P

I am in Denver finishing the MD PhD for at least the next ~4y, then residency (~4y) and fellowship (~2y) will be dictated in large part by program strength, and most good programs for most things are in big cities (especially ER, if I go that route). After that I will be much freer to choose, but if I want to pursue an academic career (the plan for now) I will be drawn to the same academic medical centers that have strong residency programs....

All this will get navigated in big chunks as I make key choices in the future (both a pro and con of an insanely structured career path). Geographically I have strong preferences for northern New England (VT, ME, NH), the midwest (MN, WI, MI, OH, IN), Southwest (UT, NM, maybe some parts of AZ), and the mid-Atlantic ish region (VA, TN especially). I am probably too heat intolerant to thrive in the south unfortunately...

User Tag List