Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seattle is Dying (local news program)

Site Supporter

Seattle is Dying (local news program)

This is pretty commendable local journalism. I'm not sure I agree with all the conclusions at the end, but the journalist definitely hammers the city and county (and ultimately the State) for not enforcing basic laws regarding decent conduct. Or any laws, really, by allowing people to walk with heroin and meth.

Lots of good commentary from cops, most of whom were anonymous, out of fear.

Although it's not mentioned, I'm sure a lot this stuff got worse after the 2012 consent decree (the result of a lawsuit by the U.S. justice department). I'm sure the cops wouldn't have allowed themselves to be spat on by a meth addict in a garbage can for hours on end prior to that... pretty shocking.

I grew up north of there, and while it wasn't my favorite place to visit, it's on my no-go zone list. The video is shocking.

Last edited by idahojess; 03-23-2019 at 01:29 AM.

The U.S. is failing the Rule of Law test on many fronts.

We were there last summer.

We stayed in Ballard, right near the center of Ballard, and I LOVED it. However we only spent maybe a single day in Seattle proper, and that was right around the Space Needle. We wandered out of that little bubble to get lunch and passed some of what you saw in the video, and we also saw it when we were driving from place to place.

My wife went to college there 20 years ago and even she was shocked at how it looks today.

Her stepson, a 20-something mega liberal, still lives there but even he bought a house in Edmonds because (a) they couldn't afford to be further south and (b) now that he has his own kid he's seeing the effects of his voting history through a different lens.

That kid's uncle, who is as much of a "native" to Seattle as you can get, owns a house in one of the seemingly nicer neighborhoods, across the street from a small marina, and when we went to their house for dinner he seemed to me to be extremely liberal, right up until we started talking about the homeless problem. I wondered again while talking with him what his local voting history was like.

The homeless and drug issue isn't the only problem I saw with the city. It basically appears to be a city being run by complete idiots with no city management experience who I assume get themselves voted in by spouting liberal feel-good BS and (again I assume) by getting as many of these street people registered to vote as possible.

My opinion is fuck it. Let it burn. When large international firms look for cities to set up shop in, they evaluate whether or not their people will be willing to move/live there, and Seattle is somewhere that nobody wants to move to.

Instead, they become attractive to the human trash. For every homeless junkie that moves there, two tech workers get fed up and leave.

Once Amazon and the like can't get their employees to move there, it'll be the next Detroit.

It seems being a ultra liberal homeless criminal drug abuser is the gateway to a life of unrestricted freedom and liberty.

Meanwhile the rest of the citizenry has to work with in the confines of the bureaucracy, rules, processes, political correctness, being sure not to disagree and be accused of hate speech, being sure not to display any symbols of racism like a MAGA hat, and not disputing global warming. Forgot to mention paying your fair share of taxes.

I hope it becomes a dysfunctional dystopia rather quickly. People who make stupid choices should suffer the consequences.

Those who don't agree with the decisions of their government should just leave and take their money with them.

Seattle is a shithole and has been for a long time, and it's been rapidly getting worse in the last 6-8 years or so. This is the Seattle city council, and this is how little they give a fuck about the people.

Last edited by Casual Friday; 03-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.

More of that Orwellian Trajectory...

We are dealing with the same situation here in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We were there last summer.

We stayed in Ballard, right near the center of Ballard, and I LOVED it. However we only spent maybe a single day in Seattle proper, and that was right around the Space Needle. We wandered out of that little bubble to get lunch and passed some of what you saw in the video, and we also saw it when we were driving from place to place.

My wife went to college there 20 years ago and even she was shocked at how it looks today.

Her stepson, a 20-something mega liberal, still lives there but even he bought a house in Edmonds because (a) they couldn't afford to be further south and (b) now that he has his own kid he's seeing the effects of his voting history through a different lens.

That kid's uncle, who is as much of a "native" to Seattle as you can get, owns a house in one of the seemingly nicer neighborhoods, across the street from a small marina, and when we went to their house for dinner he seemed to me to be extremely liberal, right up until we started talking about the homeless problem. I wondered again while talking with him what his local voting history was like.

The homeless and drug issue isn't the only problem I saw with the city. It basically appears to be a city being run by complete idiots with no city management experience who I assume get themselves voted in by spouting liberal feel-good BS and (again I assume) by getting as many of these street people registered to vote as possible.

My opinion is fuck it. Let it burn. When large international firms look for cities to set up shop in, they evaluate whether or not their people will be willing to move/live there, and Seattle is somewhere that nobody wants to move to.

Instead, they become attractive to the human trash. For every homeless junkie that moves there, two tech workers get fed up and leave.

Once Amazon and the like can't get their employees to move there, it'll be the next Detroit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I have family that lives (lived) in WA and OR. I lived in OR till 1994. They told me the same sort of things. The cities (not just Seattle and Portland) are disintegrating.

I've read the same about CA. There was a story about homeless camps across the street from very upscale housing in Venice and how the well to do first though it was cool and now are horrified.

Site Supporter
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...6trgbEnZ-Oz5i0

Skid Road: How California's army of homeless has turned the state's richest boulevards into RV parks as exorbitant rents force families and full-time workers to live on four wheels

California has seen a proliferation in RV and vehicle living in some of the state’s most expensive areas and cities, such as Palo Alto, in recent years

The rise of mobile homes lining streets has been fueled by excessive rents and house prices, though numbers are hard to pin down

RV dwellers include families priced out of neighborhoods who want to keep their children in the same school districts and full-time, salaried workers

Sleeping in vehicles remains illegal in many places across California, which is attempting to financially support more services for the homeless and displaced

The Golden State is home to about 12 percent of the US population and a disproportionate amount of the nation's homeless at 22 percent

The situation has become so dire that grassroots organizations and non-profits such as SafeParkingLA have sprung up to identify and set up safe parking areas

The growing problem has sparked a cottage industry of RV and vehicle 'landlords' who rent out everything from bunks in camper vans to box trucks
    Last edited by HCM; 03-23-2019 at 12:10 PM.

User Tag List