Thread: Shot patterns with Flitecontrol and other from 18."5 and 14" Barrels

Shot patterns with Flitecontrol and other from 18."5 and 14" Barrels

Got to pattern a few loads today. Everything was shot from either an 18.5" cylinder bore Mossberg 835 or, Mossberg Shockwave with the standard 14" barrel.

First up is Federal LE133 8-pellet, Low recoil, OO Buckshot. This load in this shotgun was really nice.
    Name:  IMG_3182.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  27.2 KB

Next up is the same load at 15 yards through a 14" barrelled Shockwave (the one ragged hole at the bottom). The other two loads on this were LE 127 OO, a 9-Pellet, 1325 FPS load shot at 20 yards (top) and then 25 (middle).
    Name:  IMG_3183.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  24.9 KB

Then I shot some Winchester No. 1 Buck, 16 pellets @ 1250 - from the Shockwave. Mother of ..... Maybe I wasn't gripping tight enough, whatever... Forend came out of the support hand and had significant muzzle rise. Sounded like a literal cannon through my ear pro.
    Name:  IMG_3184.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  29.2 KB

Here is Federal F127 4B, 27 pellets of #4 Buck @ 1325 fps.
    Name:  Shockwave No 1 Buck.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  30.9 KB

Lastly, just because I could, are the Aguila Minishell loaded with 5/8 ounce load consisting of seven #4 buck, and four #1 buck at an advertised 1200 fps (others have chronoed these at 900 fps).
    Name:  IMG_3186.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  34.9 KB
    Last edited by Tensaw; 03-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Interesting. I've patterened both the eight and nine pellet flight control from a Tac14 at ten yards and both were more like a ragged slug than buckshot. Next up I'll see what it's like at 20 yards. Next time I'll take pics, too.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Interesting. I've patterened both the eight and nine pellet flight control from a Tac14 at ten yards and both were more like a ragged slug than buckshot. Next up I'll see what it's like at 20 yards. Next time I'll take pics, too.
    Same here. They are like shooting a slug out to 10 yards through my cylinder bore 590A1. At 25 I can usually keep every pellet in the upper A-B zone of a USPSA target if I break the shot good.

The Hornady with the Versatite wad? Not so much. Not even close to the Federal.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Got to pattern a few loads today. Everything was shot from either an 18.5" cylinder bore Mossberg 835 or, Mossberg Shockwave with the standard 14" barrel.

First up is Federal LE133 8-pellet, Low recoil, OO Buckshot. This load in this shotgun was really nice.
    Name:  IMG_3182.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  27.2 KB
    It seems to be a good default option for buckshot until someone has the interest and time to go out and test several different loads to find out if there's one that offers them something better. So far I've not seen a shotgun that performs poorly with the 8 pellet FFC 00 load. The performance ranges from "pretty damn good" to "Holy fuckballs that's amazing"
    3/15/2016

I would also go with the Federal flight control, either the 8 or 9 pellet load, gun dependent. The Hornady Versa Tite loads shoot about the same and I would use those if I couldn’t get the Federal. Tested the Federal 9 pellet load in 5 different department 14” 870s a number of years ago against Winchester and Remington loads. The Federal shot better in all 5 guns. A lot better.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List