Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Defence Shooting Course

First of all many many many thanks!

It is not only my interest in learning shooting but also who thigs work in the US. What I have not fully understood is whether self defense shooting is generally forbidden or is this only forbidden to foreigners?

There are so many videos on youtube about shooting seeming to come from a US location. I am astonished about the restrictions you are writing about. Furthermore.because of the fact tht in several federal staates gun carrying for self defense is allowed?

Many thanks in advance.for any further explanations.

Kind regards

André

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

It is not only my interest in learning shooting but also who thigs work in the US. What I have not fully understood is whether self defense shooting is generally forbidden or is this only forbidden to foreigners?

There are so many videos on youtube about shooting seeming to come from a US location. I am astonished about the restrictions you are writing about. Furthermore.because of the fact tht in several federal staates gun carrying for self defense is allowed?

Kind regards

André
    Yes, we can own, shoot, and carry guns for self defense, including handguns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns etc.

No, foreigners cannot just come here and take self defense training legally.

Kind regards

André
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

The restrictions we are telling you about apply to foreigners, not US citizens.

In all US states it is legal to own handguns, rifles, and shotguns, including semi automatic ones.

In most US states, there are no licenses required, no police permission required, and no reason required to buy and own firearms

In a few US states you have to have a license to own firearms, those licenses are fairly easy to get.

In all US states it's legal to carry a loaded handgun on your person for self defense. In most states it's either very easy to get a license to carry a handgun on your person or you don't need a license at all. In a few states it's possible but very difficult.

US citizens are free to take any training they want that is available in the market including training such as this:

And this

And this

And this

And this
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Many thanks for the kind and detailed replys. I was not aware of the fact that it is not legal to participate at such courses. I understand and fully respect this regulation. Wished that Germany would have had quite similar strong law. In our country any foreigner have the same previleges like a local. The matter that you are born in Germany, went to school and to university and pay taxes as your grand parents did in the past did not count.
    Sometimes I wish to be and American citicen. You are living in a great country.

Will see if it is legal in Israel to parzitipate at such courses as foreigner.

Have a great weekend.

Kind regards

Peter

Peter/Andre, what is stopping you from taking instruction in Germany in sports like IPSC and in martial arts such as jiujitsu?

Site Supporter
    Many thanks for the kind and detailed replys. I was not aware of the fact that it is not legal to participate at such courses. I understand and fully respect this regulation. Wished that Germany would have had quite similar strong law. In our country any foreigner have the same previleges like a local. The matter that you are born in Germany, went to school and to university and pay taxes as your grand parents did in the past did not count.
    Sometimes I wish to be and American citicen. You are living in a great country.

Will see if it is legal in Israel to parzitipate at such courses as foreigner.

Have a great weekend.

Kind regards

Peter
    It is not impossible for you to attend shooting classes in the US but there is a process you would need to follow to do so legally.

Under the US ITAR law only instructors who obtain an ITAR license can provide training to foreign nationals. This is the biggest hurdle as the license is expensive ($2250.00 per year) and the number of foreign students is small so few instructors get the license.

For those instructors or schools which do have the ITAR license there is a process for you to apply for approval to attend their classes. If you find a provider you will likely be asked to fill out a DOS DSP-83, this is a "type" of end user certificate, there is a $250 fee and it is approved by the DOS.The trainer submits it on your behalf.

You can try emailing various schools and trainers and asking if they are ITAR licensed and accept foreign students.

Also trainers which focus on “sport” shooting such as IPSC, USPSA, IDPA May be outside ITAR.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-23-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Peter/Andre, what is stopping you from taking instruction in Germany in sports like IPSC and in martial arts such as jiujitsu?
    First of all I beg your pardon for any confusion. I have two firstnames André and Peter and like to mix them up a little bit.

I am already in an IPSC club in my hometown and it is great training with wonderful friends. But IPSC in Germany is different from IPSC in the US. Some things are not allowed and it is for me more a sport than a self defense matter.

I have the green belt in ju jutsu already but have to state that the system is not realy realistic at least as it is taught in my city.

I was also with the army in Germany but compared to the USA our education and fighting technics are very limited.

All more therotically than practical. I know that the USA has this expertise and I am looking always for the best solution.

But be assured I am a really friendly guy and not interessed in a real fight or something like that. It is just my hobby but I would like to do it as perfect as possible.

André/Peter

Site Supporter
    The other factor in training foreign nationals is the Leahy Amendment but that is not really a factor for Germany.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leahy_Law

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is not impossible for you to attend shooting classes in the US but there is a process you would need to follow to do so legally.

Under the US ITAR law only instructors who obtain an ITAR license can provide training to foreign nationals. This is the biggest hurdle as the license is expensive ($2250.00 per year) and the number of foreign students is small so few instructors get the license.

For those instructors or schools which do have the ITAR license there is a process for you to apply for approval to attend their classes. If you find a provider you will likely be asked to fill out a DOS DSP-83, this is a "type" of end user certificate, there is a $250 fee and it is approved by the DOS.The trainer submits it on your behalf.

You can try emailing various schools and trainers and asking if they are ITAR licensed and accept foreign students.

Also trainers which focus on “sport” shooting such as IPSC, USPSA, IDPA May be outside ITAR.
    Wonderful. Many thanks for your kindness. That could be a solution and thank you very much for showing me the way.

Peter

IPSC in Germany is different from IPSC in the US. Some things are not allowed
    Other than the difference in targets (which is irrelevant), can you explain?

User Tag List