Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 1897 value?

Site Supporter

Winchester Model 1897 value?

I have a 30 inch 12 gauge Winchester Model 1897 made In 1946. The condition I would say is “good”. Maybe a B+ or A-. This is just a guess as I have no real idea about rating condition of guns like this.

I see values all over the place for these guns. Yes I know there are different variants, but still I’m finding a wide range of values.

The guy at the gun shop I do business with says he doesn’t see a lot of them but he’s seen them go from 150-800 depending on condition.

The wood on mine looks excellent. The only dings are loss of bluing from the action being cycled, some blueing lost on the trigger, and a little rust in the breech.

Any ideas or suggestions on the value of the gun?

Locally that might get you $400-500, there used to be more demand for guns like that from SASS shooters who would cut down the barrel and slick them up for match guns, but that sport is not so well attended anymore.

There are things like condition and special grades (think diamonds in the stock, the high grade trap models) that can indeed push some over $1K. I have not seen one of those collector high grade guns for a long time. While the gun is interesting and I plan to keep the pair I own, they are not a robust design and do not like being "run hard". Our joke back in my SASS days was if you shot real '97's you needed three. One to start the match, one to finish when that one went down, and one that was already away being fixed.
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-22-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Locally that might get you $400-500, there used to be more demand for guns like that from SASS shooters who would cut down the barrel and slick them up for match guns, but that sport is not so well attended anymore.

There are things like condition and special grades (think diamonds in the stock, the high grade trap models) that can indeed push some over $1K. I have not seen one of those collector high grade guns for a long time. While the gun is interesting and I plan to keep the pair I own, they are not a robust design and do not like being "run hard". Our joke back in my SASS days was if you shot real '97's you needed three. One to start the match, one to finish when that one went down, and one that was already away being fixed.
    I do like the joke.

Thank you for the reply. My copy is in very good condition, but it's not a special model. It's a plain jane model in great condition.

I have no use for it, so I was seeing if it's worth selling. If it had a safety, then I might be more interested in keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I have no use for it, so I was seeing if it's worth selling. If it had a safety, then I might be more interested in keeping it.
    Actually has two; action stays locked until forward movement on forend (happens under recoil) and half-cock. [emoji6]

I love the 1897 design, especially the Takedown models... but they have way too many parts. I pulled mine apart when I originally bought it. Wasn’t hard, but a lot of crap to put back together. I’d rather go Ithaca 37 instead.

Had an original 1897, which I traded a pistol for. Sold it, being I just couldn’t cut it down to make a compact riot gun that I wanted (an 18” barrel would mean it would be 18” long when broken down).

Then, I got one of the newer Chinese models that a SASS gunsmith went over. Those are solid frame, but was a decent shotgun. Went on the chopping block when I originally decided to condense my collection about a year back.

Older shotgun actions, I just have an 1887 clone now. Everything else is a Remington action (870 or 11-87). I might pick up an A5 pattern (Remington or something else) for a “whip it” gun... but prefer something that has a screwed up barrel that I wouldn’t feel as bad to shorten.

I also wanted to get a hammered double barrel in 12 Gauge... but don’t want one with a manual safety. I might consider an internal hammer with safety... if it felt right, but hammered guns open a lot nicer.

Site Supporter
    Ok true! Lol

I meant a manual safety.

I just need to find the real value of this thing.

Ok true! Lol

I meant a manual safety.

I just need to find the real value of this thing.
    Generally, the real value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. With that said, I did some research (you're welcome).
    Using Gunbroker.com https://www.gunbroker.com/ I searched for 1897 Winchester pump shotgun.
    I found 31 items for sale. Of that 31 items I only chose the 12 gauge models and of those threw out the desirable models such as the take down, trench guns etc. I included guns that were for sale, at current bid, and starting bid as of today. I also included the guns for sale/auction that I felt were priced too high to be taken seriously (2). There ended up being 13 guns that met the criteria.
    Drum roll please.... the average was $632.
    I have been a SASS shooter since 2002 and own a couple of 1897s ( 2 from 1904, 1906) and have witnessed or been involved in conversations regarding buying, selling, looking for 1897s since then. The $600 figure, at least in that group, is fairly accurate. And that sport is still fairly well attended and bringing in new shooters all the time. The 1897 Winchester, or replicas, is the only pump shotgun allowed in that sport. So advertising on the SASS site might be advantageous. Mainly because that's probably where your biggest buyer base would be.
    Also, pictures will help a lot.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by baddean; 03-24-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Generally, the real value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. With that said, I did some research (you're welcome).
    Using Gunbroker.com https://www.gunbroker.com/ I searched for 1897 Winchester pump shotgun.
    I found 31 items for sale. Of that 31 items I only chose the 12 gauge models and of those threw out the desirable models such as the take down, trench guns etc. I included guns that were for sale, at current bid, and starting bid as of today. I also included the guns for sale/auction that I felt were priced too high to be taken seriously (2). There ended up being 13 guns that met the criteria.
    Drum roll please.... the average was $632.
    I have been a SASS shooter since 2002 and own a couple of 1897s ( 2 from 1904, 1906) and have witnessed or been involved in conversations regarding buying, selling, looking for 1897s since then. The $600 figure, at least in that group, is fairly accurate. And that sport is still fairly well attended and bringing in new shooters all the time. The 1897 Winchester, or replicas, is the only pump shotgun allowed in that sport. So advertising on the SASS site might be advantageous. Mainly because that's probably where your biggest buyer base would be.
    Also, pictures will help a lot.
    Hope this helps

Thank you.

I took a look at GB, but like you mentioned, some of the prices seemed to good to be true. I’ll probably take it by the local gun shop I use. One of the guys is into cowboy stuff, see if his shop is interested in it.

Is it a solid frame or takedown?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Is it a solid frame or takedown?
    Appears to be a takedown.

Appears to be a takedown.
    Solid frame boosts value... most were Takedown.

User Tag List