Thread: Dumb AR Questions

Site Supporter

Dumb AR Questions

I've got a Franken A2-style AR that I bought used about ten years ago, older Bushmaster lower and GI upper. I've put over a thousand rounds through it, mostly 55-grain 5.56 but also some .223, and it runs flawlessly and shoots well. I've been considering going to a 16" upper and note that the shorter barrel is usually accompanied by an adjustable-length buttstock. I'm 6'1" and wear 34-length sleeves and the A2 buttstock fits me. Is there a reason to go with the adjustable version other than looks?

When I bought the rifle, I scrounged around and bought maybe a dozen surplus mags from various manufacturers and replaced the springs and followers in all of them, plus a couple of new Brownell's metal mags, plus a few Pmags. They all run, though admittedly they don't get much use. For SHTF purposes I have a pair of recent (M3, stamped "26") Pmags loaded with 55-grain Gold Dots, one of which is in the rifle in Condition 3. Is there a reason to dump the metal mags? It seems they get short shrift around here.

I’ve sidelined my shooting for the last couple of years relative to where it used to be (so my opinion probably isn’t valid in 2019), but when I left things I was using only metal GI mags.

If you want a lot of minutiae about the what’s and whyfors...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ines-a-journey

I still have a bunch of Colt and Okay Industries GI mags with the tilty mint green followers. They've been relegated to training use but I see no reason to get rid of them. With that said, I buy nothing but pmags now. PSA has them for $7.99 each shipped if you buy 10 quite often, and they also run deals for a case of ammo and 10 pmags for $299 shipped. I don't get emotionally invested in magazines like some do, they're consumable items that get tossed when they break or stop functioning. To date, I've had zero issues with any pmags out of the wrapper.

As far as stocks go, if you like the A2 and the length works for you, run it. Switching over to an adjustable stock and buffer tube would save a little weight. I prefer A1 length stocks but that's just me.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I prefer high quality USGI mags, Pmags are good, but sometimes they don't drop free in wet/humid environments, yes, even with in spec lowers like Colt and BCM. They both fail/break, just differently. If you want to ditch your crappy old school mags, I'll send you my address.

To me the adjustable stock is useful to fit the rifle relative to desired support hand position. The farther out you place your support hand, the shorter the stock needs to be. The A2 stock fits you with your 7" handguard, will it with a 12" rail/handguard? Maybe, maybe not.
    Last edited by Aray; 03-22-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

The only mags I'd ditch are ones that cause malfunctions, and those I'd crush and throw away.

Save your less desirable mags for the next gun panic and sell them then.

I like classic metal mags, but Pmags have held up better for me in heavy use. Specifically M3s stamped 22 or higher. M3s marked 20 and below have caused issues for me.

An adjustable stock is nice but not required. You may find if you switch between irons, a red dot, or scope that you prefer a different LOP. Your spouse or friend may need a shorter LOP. I also have a small discreet soft case I like to use but I have to fully collapse my stock to fit my rifle in it. I typically have my stock adjusted between A1 and A2 length.

Site Supporter
    Personally, I rather like the 20in A2 configuration and if it works well for you I'd leave it well enough alone.

Sportsman's currently has some LE trade-in M&P 15's for a total bargain if you'd like to give a carbine configuration a whirl for minimal entry cost, and also have basically no trouble getting your money back out of it if you decide it's not that great vs your existing A2:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/189310 - with Surefire light foreend, detachable A2 carry handle, and single point sling - $559

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/213977 - with quad rail and flip-up rear sight - $519\

On magazines - I've had good luck with Pmags, Troy mags, and USGI magazines. Putting ID numbers or markings on each mag to easily identify bad magazines, and culling those bad magazines is 99% of the battle, really.
    Last edited by JRB; 03-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Dumb AR Questions

OP,

I really like shooting 20” A2’s at distance. That style worked fine in Vietnam and Fallujah for CQB too. That being said, 16” carbines with flattop receivers are more convenient and just as effective for most applications, and offer different options for optics.

I couldn’t tell if you are pondering putting a different upper and buttstock on this lower receiver, but I’d advise against it. You would be better off buying a new complete rifle with 16” barrel and telescoping stock. Same or less $$, less tuning of buffers, etc.

There is a sweet spot in my heart for M16A2 type rifles, but practically speaking they have less capabilities in terms of mobility, fit, weight, and accessories than more modern M4 variants.

My vote (that you didn’t ask for) would be to keep the M16A2 style complete rifle and get a new M4 style rifle. Best of both worlds at the same price as modifying your A2.
    Last edited by Gearqueer; 03-22-2019 at 12:40 PM.

User Tag List