Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Modular Portable Range Systems?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Experience with Modular Portable Range Systems?

So.....purely hypothetically....imagine if you will, a major urban police agency that had been unable to maintain or update training infrastructure for decades to the point that the crumbling structures may be declared unsound and unsafe to operate. Imagine also that this agency's only other available firearms training facility is going to close in one month for a long delayed rebuild, and that rebuild can't be delayed, 'cause the PD doesn't own that property. Now you'd be faced with kind of an emergency....and some folks would be suggesting portable modular ranges as a temporary solution. Something like the Ready Range by Shooting Range Solutions, for example. Do any of you folks have experience with any such systems or products, and the companies that manufacture them? Purely hypothetically speaking of course....
    Last edited by AMC; 03-21-2019 at 08:53 PM.

FYL! Sorry, no experience with anything like that.

Not familiar with that company....I've shot in a little range that was converted conex boxes. Shooting pistols the pressure wasn't terrible, but I could see it problematic for an instructor or staff that had to spend a lot of time in there. I don't see anyone being around for much more than 20 rifle rounds.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Didn't @jetfire post about something like this?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    So.....purely hypothetically....imagine if you will, a major urban police agency that had been unable to maintain or update training infrastructure for decades to the point that the crumbling structures may be declared unsound and unsafe to operate. Imagine also that this agency's only other available firearms training facility is going to close in one month for a long delayed rebuild, and that rebuild can't be delayed, 'cause the PD doesn't own that property. Now you'd be faced with kind of an emergency....and some folks would be suggesting portable modular ranges as a temporary solution. Something like the Ready Range by Shooting Range Solutions, for example. Do any of you folks have experience with any such systems or products, and the companies that manufacture them? Purely hypothetically speaking of course....
    Heh... are you hypothetically in NJ or something?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Left Coast. And could somebody point me to @jetfire's post? My search-jutsu is apparently weak.

We have 1 at our training center to be used as in indoor range in addition to a few outdoor ranges. We've had it for years...….our "Interim Training Facility" has been "interim" for decades.

In short, it works fine. The instructors need to get out there early to heat it up/cool it down, but it's a range. I'm not sure the particulars you're looking for. It's not "nice", but it keeps us dry and allows us to shoot.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Not sure where you are located - have you considered checking to see if there are any National Guard ranges in your vicinity as an interim solution?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Not sure where you are located - have you considered checking to see if there are any National Guard ranges in your vicinity as an interim solution?
    Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area. There are not. Reserve units have been asking to use OUR range, as have several smaller neighboring departments. This is frankly a regional issue, as available training space for LE firearms training is disappearing, as Erick and others local to me can attest. The modular range thing was proposed as a "doomsday scenario".....but without an understanding of the cost or our training needs. It would actually be intended as a permanent replacement for existing facilities. Anything big enough to meet our needs would cost more than replacing the damaged structures that are causing the headache...but in government that makes sense.

Left Coast. And could somebody point me to @jetfire's post? My search-jutsu is apparently weak.
    I did, I used to work for a company that used one of the Shooting Range Industries conex box ranges, it's an interesting product for sure. The one I worked with was problematic, not because of anything SRI did, but rather because when the company that bought it was spec'ing it out, they decided to try and cut corners to save some money.

One of the valuable lessons I learned from that is if you are getting one of these things done, spend the money. Don't think that you're smarter than the guys who do this for a living.

User Tag List