Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Howa 1500 .30-06

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's not the LSI ammo boost. That's an AICS detachable magazine system that's integral to all KRG chassis. The AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System) magazine and latch system is the de-facto standard here and in Europe and is what I recommend you get if you want a detachable magazine. The LSI ammo boost is an ATI product that uses a proprietary magazine and latch system incompatible with Accuracy International magazines.

I don't understand your comment about increasing capacity to 5 rounds. The Howa's internal magazine system's capacity is five rounds in long and short action non-magnum cartridges. I am certain of it. If yours won't take five something is either defective or mis-assembled.
    GB listing says 3+1 - on reflection, it may have a mag block for hunting installed. I suppose I'll find out when I get it in my hands next week.

If it has a 5+1 internal mag capacity I won't bother with any bottom metal/detachable mag system (for this rifle, anyway). Not sure I want to give ATI my money for really any reason at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    A question for you both - what contour barrel do your rifles have? I am assuming mine is the howa #2 with a 0.620" muzzle dia. Wondering how much it will suffer from heating during strings of fire.
    Not sure as I have a #1 and a #6. The #1 is worthless for anything over 5 rounds. The #6 won't heat to a point where it changes POI.

I think you will see some heat issues with a #2 but I think they will be manageable.

I always take several rifles to the range so I can rotate to allow barrels to cool. I don't shoot in any matches so I don't know what's required.

This is my #6 with the B&C stock. .223

Last edited by Borderland; 03-24-2019 at 11:21 AM.

GB listing says 3+1
    I'm about 99.99999% sure that's wrong. Let me know when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not sure as I have a #1 and a #6. The #1 is worthless for anything over 5 rounds. The #6 won't heat to a point where it changes POI.

I think you will see some heat issues with a #2 but I think they will be manageable.

I always take several rifles to the range so I can rotate to allow barrels to cool. I don't shoot in any matches so I don't know what's required.

This is my #6 with the B&C stock. .223

Nice! That .223 looks great.

Per above, I think the only thing I would want to swap out more or less immediately is the stock, assuming it is a cheap OEM synthetic. The stock on Weatherby Vanguards (what I am guessing this gun is in) is pretty flimsy. Otherwise beyond a sling and stock bag I plan on keeping i as is.

the super sling is exactly what I am looking for, by the way. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Haven't used the super sling, but another to consider is the Wilderness Rhodesian Sling (https://www.thewilderness.com/langlo...esian-sling/); I have a couple and like them a lot for hunting.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

and after only a little bit of fiddling

That thing is GOOD lookin already. Congratulations! Go get some blasty time in and enjoy.

Cheers!

and after only a little bit of fiddling

Nice. See how much better that stock is? Should prove to be a decent LRP shooter. Load up some 168 gr BTHP and wring it out.

Report back.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.

User Tag List