Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 .30-06

Howa stocks are cheap. You won't have a decent LRP rifle until you switch that stock out. I have a B&C on my 1500 benchrest rifle to take full advantage of the excellent Howa accuracy.

I have a used 1500 stock right now that should have gone on ebay a long time ago. B&C is a good choice, I like mine.

Restock it and see how the scope works. If no worky replace it.

That is an excellent rifle and I think you will be amazed at it's potential with the right stock and scope.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Howa stocks are cheap. You won't have a decent LRP rifle until you switch that stock out. I have a B&C on my 1500 benchrest rifle to take full advantage of the excellent Howa accuracy.

I have a used 1500 stock right now that should have gone on ebay a long time ago. B&C is a good choice, I like mine.

That is an excellent rifle and I think you will be amazed at it's potential with the right stock and scope.
    Good to know.

From what I've read, the Bushnell 4200 is a good value for the price and will probably be fine for now. Only concern is apparently short eye relief (3.3") but in every other regard seems to be a more than adequate piece of glass for the time being.

I have the gen 1 weatherby vanguard in .30-06 great shooter. There a tad on the heavy side though. Shoot it first.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I have the gen 1 weatherby vanguard in .30-06 great shooter. There a tad on the heavy side though. Shoot it first.
    A question for you both - what contour barrel do your rifles have? I am assuming mine is the howa #2 with a 0.620" muzzle dia. Wondering how much it will suffer from heating during strings of fire.

Long time Howa 1500 user here. I started hunting in Kansas in the late 90s with the same exact rifle you have except mine was stainless. Definitely lose the plastic stock. A Bell & Carlson sporter style stock is not a lot of money and will definitely improve stability. I recommend this one for a sporter rifle: https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1124

I can't remember how much the barrel walked as it got hot. Every barrel is different and I would absolutely NOT worry about it until you try yours out. First hand knowledge > what you read on the internet.

Howas are very accurate. Out of the four I've had only one needed barrel lapping to maximize accuracy and I got that done with a David Tubb Final Finish kit.

Here's the two that I have at the moment

Heavy Barrel (#6 contour) 308 in a KRG 180-Xray. I have an Atlas V8 bipod on it, but I was trying out a cheaper Harris clone to see how I liked it.
    Name:  Howa 1500 308 KRG.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  97.6 KB

Its clone in 223 Rem
    Name:  Howa 1500 223 KRG.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  86.7 KB

10 rounds, including the clean cold bore shot, from the 308. Grid squares are 0.1 milliradian.
    Name:  Howa 1500 10 shot grp 2018.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-23-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Long time Howa 1500 user here. I started hunting in Kansas in the late 90s with the same exact rifle you have except mine was stainless. Definitely lose the plastic stock. A Bell & Carlson sporter style stock is not a lot of money and will definitely improve stability. I recommend this one for a sporter rifle: https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1124
    I just ordered that exact stock last night - got the last one in Olive that they had in stock!

I can't remember how much the barrel walked as it got hot. Every barrel is different and I would absolutely NOT worry about it until you try yours out. First hand knowledge > what you read on the internet.

Howas are very accurate. Out of the four I've had only one needed barrel lapping to maximize accuracy and I got that done with a David Tubb Final Finish kit.

Here's the two that I have at the moment

Heavy Barrel (#6 contour) 308 in a KRG 180-Xray. I have an Atlas V8 bipod on it, but I was trying out a cheaper Harris clone to see how I liked it.
    Name:  Howa 1500 308 KRG.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  97.6 KB

Its clone in 223 Rem
    Name:  Howa 1500 223 KRG.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  86.7 KB

10 rounds, including the clean cold bore shot, from the 308. Grid squares are 0.1 milliradian.
    Name:  Howa 1500 10 shot grp 2018.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  48.1 KB
    Very nice ! A .223 Rem is certainly something I am looking into for the later future. Would make for a nice low-recoil trainer. This rifle is my first foray into bolt guns so I am sure it will be a learning experience that will go a long way to informing the next one.

If I keep this rifle for a long time, I could see myself having it rebarreled with something heavier, nicer, and threaded - but I am sure the sporter barrel will be more than accurate enough for me right now. If anything it will be helpful to be forced to limit my rate of fire.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-23-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Keep the rifle you have as it is. A sporter in 30-06 will kill anything that needs to be killed and its a handy rifle.

Then get a #6 contour barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor from Brownells and drop it into a KRG Bravo chassis. Add some AICS pattern magazines (I like AICS PMags) and shoot the barrel out of it. Then remove it and re-barrel it yourself with a Criterion Howage prefit in whatever short action caliber you like. But I think you'll like the Creedmoor enough to keep the chambering.

Keep the rifle you have as it is. A sporter in 30-06 will kill anything that needs to be killed and its a handy rifle.

Then get a #6 contour barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor from Brownells and drop it into a KRG Bravo chassis. Add some AICS pattern magazines (I like AICS PMags) and shoot the barrel out of it. Then remove it and re-barrel it yourself with a Criterion Howage prefit in whatever short action caliber you like. But I think you'll like the Creedmoor enough to keep the chambering.
    I've heard great things about 6.5 CM - i will definitely keep this in mind down the line!

Is that the LSI "ammo boost" mag system that you have on your gun? How do you like it? Was thinking of eventually getting the same system for this rifle if only to increase the capacity to 5rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I've heard great things about 6.5 CM - i will definitely keep this in mind down the line!

Is that the LSI "ammo boost" mag system that you have on your gun? How do you like it? Was thinking of eventually getting the same system for this rifle if only to increase the capacity to 5rd.
    That's not the LSI ammo boost. That's an AICS detachable magazine system that's integral to all KRG chassis. The AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System) magazine and latch system is the de-facto standard here and in Europe and is what I recommend you get if you want a detachable magazine. The LSI ammo boost is an ATI product that uses a proprietary magazine and latch system incompatible with Accuracy International magazines.

I don't understand your comment about increasing capacity to 5 rounds. The Howa's internal magazine system's capacity is five rounds in long and short action non-magnum cartridges. I am certain of it. If yours won't take five something is either defective or mis-assembled.

Not 100% but I believe it’s a #2 contour
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

User Tag List