Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 .30-06

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Howa 1500 .30-06

Well, my less than sober gunbroker-ing won me this today - a Howa 1500 in .30-06 with a Busnhell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 scope. No idea about the rings or the stock - im assuming the latter will need to be replaced.

My question for you all: what should I do with this rifle? Looking for to build a good general purpose "all around" rifle that can reach out to a reasonable distance. Not looking to win high power matches - I recognize I would need to spend a lot more to get into that territory.

So far I am thinking:
    B&C Medalist Classic stock
    Triad Tactical stock bag
    Sling of some flavor (suggestions?)
    Harris 6-9" swivel bipod
    Rings (if the ones on the rifle are crap)
    Ammo

Trying to keep this build relatively inexpensive, but open to any/all suggestions.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-21-2019 at 08:28 PM.

swap the scope for a LPV, add a Rhodesian sling, make it a Scout Interpretation...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have one of those "Lightning" models in .223. The inletting doesn't seat the action or the bottom metal very cleanly without work. In particular, the front and rear seating surfaces for the bottom metal are not parallel, while the bottom metal itself appears to be intended to be parallel. And the rear tang of the receiver has to bend more than I like in order to seat against the stock.

I have also messed with a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 takeoff stock and it's going back on fleabay.

I went with a Hogue full-bed stock with the full-length aluminum bedding block. The Hogue will need a bit of work to fit it exactly right, but it seemed likely to be the least expensive option that would be at least as good as I wanted. I don't like the pillar-bed Hogues, but the full-bed models are a different critter. Not in the same category as B&C, but very workable for an all-around utility rifle. Pricing varies wildly, but both of the ones I've bought have been $16X.xx before freight. Nobody stocks them, so the "pay more at your LGS" argument doesn't really work for me on that.

One slightly goofy detail (of the rifle, not the stock) is that the inner and outer surfaces of the bottom metal are approximately parallel, but the bottom metal is installed at an angle to the bottom of the receiver, which means the screw heads bear on the bottom metal at an angle. Totally bogus to a mechanical engineer who cares about threaded fastener joint design. The solution is to counterbore the bottom metal so the screws have seats that are perpendicular to the shanks. That situation is actually common in the industry; it's not unique to Howa.

Scope mounts are the same as a Remington 700 if you go two-piece, but the spacing is different, so you'll need a Howa-specific rail if you go that way. My preference is for rings that allow removal and reinstallation of the scope without having to re-align things from scratch. "Return to zero." I posted about one such arrangement using Warne QR rings in a thread on Tikkas, and I think Okie John reproduced it. Another one is the Burris Signature Zee and two-piece bases. I like the Leupold steel bases, not the cheaper "Rifleman" line of extruded aluminum, or Weaver's or any other similar product. It's not high-end, 1000 yard match stuff, but I'm not one of those shooters.

These have the later trigger, which is thoroughly decent, although you can add a Timney if you want.

If you're going to run the bolt really hard and fast, you may break the bolt stop screw. It's the one real unique wart on the whole rifle. It's a poorly-designed part and most of them are defectively machined with "crack here" rings all around them. I have designed an upgrade for that ("designed" = buy a properly-manufactured screw and make notes for dimensions of a shoulder bushing), but it's a low priority given the status of the rest of my project at this point.

If you go down the rabbit hole, there are two or more companies now making "Howage" barrel setups with a barrel nut so you can swap barrels yourself, as with a Savage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    That’s a pretty good hunting scope. Try it out like it comes, it may be okay without doing anything to it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    swap the scope for a LPV, add a Rhodesian sling, make it a Scout Interpretation...
    Then why buy a 30-06 ?

Site Supporter
    Looks like a very nice, do it all hunting rig to me. I got a deal on a Tikka T3 3006 that is similar. Do you reload? If not - great chance to start and experiment.
    Last edited by ranger; 03-22-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Then why buy a 30-06 ?
    It's not a scout rifle - too big/heavy. I wanted .30-06 specifically because I have access to a 1000yd range and want to be able to take advantage of the extra case capacity for when i eventually/inevitably get into reloading/handloading.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Looks like a very nice, do it all hunting rig to me. I got a deal on a Tikka T3 3006 that is similar. Do you reload? If not - great chance to start and experiment.
    Reloading will be the next plunge, before I jump into much more expensive rifles (next will be a Bergara or Tikka). I do eventually want to get into high powe shooting - just not right now, not with this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That’s a pretty good hunting scope. Try it out like it comes, it may be okay without doing anything to it.
    Just about the only upgrade I am committed to is the stock, as i looks like a cheap synthetic OEM job.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-22-2019 at 08:25 AM.

On a site called pistol-forum.com they say to buy ammo and practice before buying other shit.

Seriously, why not start by shooting what you have? I have 1.25" Super Slings on detachable swivels. They're not sexy but they don't rot like leather, carry my rifles, and work as a hasty sling. Buy something similar, 200 rounds of ammo, and a good cleaning rod.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    On a site called pistol-forum.com they say to buy ammo and practice before buying other shit.

Seriously, why not start by shooting what you have? I have 1.25" Super Slings on detachable swivels. They're not sexy but they don't rot like leather, carry my rifles, and work as a hasty sling. Buy something similar, 200 rounds of ammo, and a good cleaning rod.
    Per above, I think the only thing I would want to swap out more or less immediately is the stock, assuming it is a cheap OEM synthetic. The stock on Weatherby Vanguards (what I am guessing this gun is in) is pretty flimsy. Otherwise beyond a sling and stock bag I plan on keeping i as is.

the super sling is exactly what I am looking for, by the way. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Howas have a reputation for accuracy. Shoot it before you buy a new stock. You may be surprised.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List