7 9.59%
  • Walther P99AS

3 4.11%
  • Other

29 39.73%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Purchase Advice per pangloss

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What P220s were having all the issues with LE agencies? I know the internal extractor/stainless were having issues but have never heard of the short external extractor having problems. Our conservation officers didn't seem to have any issue. I don't think I've personally went over 20k with one, but I've never had an issue with the short extractor P220s.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone, or even the OP, but I've been quite fond of mine.
    The ST guns never really sorted out their extractor problems, though the short external extractor helped. Beyond that, the range of experiences with other P220s seems to have been hit or miss for a lot of agencies. Most did OK with them, but others had troubles like frequent trigger return spring failures, ammo sensitivity (especially leading to failure to go into battery), and broken trigger pivots and/or takedown levers. I've also read info from several armorers that they experienced trouble with locking inserts cracking, especially with +P use. That said, I don't know how much of this is due to design problems in the P220 in .45 (bearing in mind that it was originally designed for 9mm), or how much of it is due to SIG's overall decline in quality around the mid-2000s, especially in small parts sourcing, just being more unforgiving in the larger platform.

Site Supporter
    If the P250 was still in production, I would totally focus on it.

I am going to do some more searching, but I am not finding it easy to locate P250s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If the P250 was still in production, I would totally focus on it.

I am going to do some more searching, but I am not finding it easy to locate P250s.
    Saw a full-size 9mm in a shop today. PM me if you want details.

For being unpopular, they're a hard gun to find.
    My plan is to concentrate on the P229; perhaps put Ameriglo sights on it(looking at the Sig cap set). Though my practice shooting is good, I have no idea how I would perform under real threat(and I hope to not ever know).
    Last edited by gunrascal; 03-23-2019 at 02:03 PM.

They're hard to find because they've been out of production for (a couple) of years now. Once the P320 "took off" Sig dropped the P250 like a hot rock.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    They're hard to find because they've been out of production for (a couple) of years now. Once the P320 "took off" Sig dropped the P250 like a hot rock.
    and no one already owning a P250 appears to be getting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    and no one already owning a P250 appears to be getting rid of them.
    There's a half dozen 9mm's on Funbroker.

I would suggest spending some time more thoroughly researching a SIG P250 before jumping in that particular water. There were some pretty cogent reasons as I recall that the Federal Air Marshals and Dutch Police initially selected, and then very quickly rejected them.

Generally speaking, if something's a unicorn, my first assumption is that there are probably some reasons why...

Of course, if you're getting something for hobbyist/range toy use or as a collector, that may not matter. But that's not usually the orientation of this forum, or the participants on it.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I would suggest spending some time more thoroughly researching a SIG P250 before jumping in that particular water. There were some pretty cogent reasons as I recall that the Federal Air Marshals and Dutch Police initially selected, and then very quickly rejected them.

Generally speaking, if something's a unicorn, my first assumption is that there are probably some reasons why...

Of course, if you're getting something for hobbyist/range toy use or as a collector, that may not matter. But that's not usually the orientation of this forum, or the participants on it.

Best, Jon
    Though SIG doesn’t formally designate P250s as “Gen1” or “Gen2” there are, in fact, two distinct generations of P250 and the “Gen 2” is good to go.

The FAMS and Dutch police and others had issues with the Gen 1 P250. The Gen 2 P250 sucesfully adressed those issues but by that time the damage was done. The fact SIG did not promote the improved version as being distinct from the early models didn’t help either.

Name:  0880A0AF-1D5F-4551-BE80-85ED0C92A9ED.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  96.0 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 03-24-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Yes to your post HCM. I've carried a "GEN2" P250sc for over 5 years. I want to relace it as an EDC, but will still keep it; it's a good cross trainer.

User Tag List