7 9.59%
  • Walther P99AS

3 4.11%
  • Other

29 39.73%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Purchase Advice per pangloss

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    This is not really what I envisioned. I'm on Tapatalk, so I can't tell if this is an actual poll thread. Regardless, my intent was for it to be a purely crowdsourced decision without any explanation of why people voted they way they did. The pistol with the most votes wins. Why that pistol got the votes doesn't matter.

Critically, the OP did not declare his intent to shoot only the selected pistol for six months. Frankly this element is much more important than choosing the pistol. I have failed.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    pangloss: sorry I didn' understand the perameters, however, explanations are very helpful; which ever gun I buy next, God willing and the creeks don't rise, I hope to shoot beyond 6 months(really, I do work with only one gun). You certainly have not failed; and thank you.

Glock 43X. Ounce for ounce the greatest balance of small easy to EDC size with shooting capability I have shot. I largely reached that conclusion from head to head comparisons of pistols on the F2S at 7 yards and shooting to alphas at 25 yards under time pressure reported on during the 43X/48 range reports thread.

If one is not otherwise invested in other mags, holsters, etc etc for another pistol, this is what I'd advise a friend or family member to look at.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-22-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    Looing for one good EDC. Which would you choose and why?

In no particular order:

1-Sig P250sc
    2-Sig P229
    3-Sig P220
    4-Beretta Px4cc
    5-HK 2000 LEM
    6-HK 2000 V3
    7-Walther P99AS
    8-Other, including discontinued
    I voted “Other.” I would choose none of your first three, and the next three are unfamiliar to me. When you say “you,” you are asking what I would choose, for myself. That is how you framed the question, in your narrative, if not in the title.

The SIG pistols are designed with a high bore axis. That increases muzzle flip, which is the nemesis of my aging right thumb and wrist. I have kept one of my P229 pistols, the P229R DAK that I used as a duty pistol from 2004 to 2015. Quals were painful, from 2011. (I am not saying that SIGs caused the underlying problem, just that high-bore-axis pistols have more muzzle flip, all else being equal, so I avoid them, these days.)

I started with 1911 pistols, in the Eighties, and still like them. I am distrustful of the reliability of short-barreled 1911 pistols, and my aging shoulders do not articulate as freely anymore, which limits my ability to draw long-barreled weapons from inside-the-trousers holsters, or any high-ride holsters, so I will use shorter-snout Glocks more often my full-sized 1911 pistols. I also use Ruger and S&W revolvers.

Do you want advice, on purchasing a daily carry pistol, for yourself? Well, I would need to know more, about you, and if you have tried pistols, already, it would be helpful to know which ones, and why they did not work for you.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Other: CZ P-01. Superior to the P-07 in every possible way.

btw, if glock made a gun with a different grip angle, they might do it for me too.
    It's called the CZ P-10.

Cajunizing a CZ will usually alleviate any complaints about it, although someone, maybe @Clusterfrack (?), has some good tips.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 03-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I don't know how extensively your experience with Glocks is; in my experience, while some platforms may have a more natural index than others initially, unless there are some truly horrible ergos, you can pretty easily adjust to most contemporary mainstream grips with adequate practice (ideally, both dry- and live-fire) and training, if necessary.

Frankly, ergonomic outliers usually don't meet with marketplace success if they don't at least roughly fit the majority of their target market. Glocks are "different," particularly compared to, say, a 1911 frame, but it's just not that tough of a transition. What you might find doesn't play well is the idea of constantly switching between various platforms in the same timeframe. Pick one, and stick with it. You've probably heard that advice before....and on this thread.

If your experience significantly differs (with a Glock, or, for that matter, with any platform), simply go to another platform, and/or a more ergonomically tailorable platform (like HK P30 or VP) with various sizings of backstraps and side panels.

Judicious sight selection can also make a significant difference with any gun, if the OEM sights aren't working adequately for you.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-22-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't know how extensively your experience with Glocks is; in my experience, while some platforms may have a more natural index than others initially, unless there are some truly horrible ergos, you can pretty easily adjust to . . . but it's just not that tough of a transition. What you might find doesn't play well is the idea of constantly switching between various platforms in the same timeframe. Pick one, and stick with it.
    Best, Jon

+1 Some orgs with legit shooting standards issue them to personnel of varying hands, preferences etc and do good work with them. "Natural" pointing index would be so far down my list of requirements I would never find it on the list because that's what sights and training are for.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't know how extensively your experience with Glocks is; in my experience, while some platforms may have a more natural index than others initially, unless there are some truly horrible ergos, you can pretty easily adjust to most contemporary mainstream grips with adequate practice (ideally, both dry- and live-fire) and training, if necessary.

Glocks are "different," particularly compared to, say, a 1911 frame, but it's just not that tough of a transition. What you might find doesn't play well is the idea of constantly switching between various platforms in the same timeframe. Pick one, and stick with it. You've probably heard that advice before....and on this thread.
    I was decidedly resistant to Glocks for years. I got over it.

Assimilation complete.
    Last edited by ubervic; 03-22-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "Natural" pointing index would be so far down my list of requirements I would never find it on the list because that's what sights and training are for.
    All that time and ammo wasted trying to fix something completely avoidable.

Pistol Purchase Advice per pangloss

btw, if glock made a gun with a different grip angle, they might do it for me too.
    Not to beat a dead horse, and with respect, but imho that statement is a canard.

Case in point: I attempted to shoot a VP9 virtually exclusively for 2+ years.

A forum buddy of mine leant me his new Gen 5 Glock 19 and within 25 rounds I was ringing an 8” steel plate at 25 yards.

It’s just not that big a deal.

Try another gun if you like, there are lots of good suggestions in the thread. But if you are steering away from a Glock solely from the ‘Grip Angle’, frankly it would be...unwise.

All of us on the forum wish you well. Best of luck with whatever you buy, and I will read your future experiences with interest.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-22-2019 at 04:41 PM.

User Tag List