7 9.59%
  • Walther P99AS

3 4.11%
  • Other

29 39.73%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Purchase Advice per pangloss

Pistol Purchase Advice per pangloss

Looing for one good EDC. Which would you choose and why?

In no particular order:

1-Sig P250sc
    2-Sig P229
    3-Sig P220
    4-Beretta Px4cc
    5-HK 2000 LEM
    6-HK 2000 V3
    7-Walther P99AS
    8-Other, including discontinued

At this point I think we're being trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    At this point I think we're being trolled.
    How so? I'm really interested in what you guys have to tell me. This is not hypothetical; I've been trying to make a decision on another gun; I apologize for being a bore.
    Last edited by gunrascal; 03-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.

I'll run though each, and give you my completely biased and ME ONLY input:

1. P250SC - great trigger, feels good in the hand. No support, pistol is out of production. God forbid you need parts for the FCU, your pistol is deadlined. Interested to know why the SC instead of just the compact? I'm overall neutral on this option, leaning towards giving it a pass.

2. P229 - feels OK in the hand. HEAVY, and lower capacity than comparable (and even smaller/lighter) pistols. DA trigger from the factory is likely to be somewhere between "meh" (based on weight and feel) to horrendous. SA trigger OK. Still in production, so you can get it fixed if something breaks. Also, costly, due to Sig's pricing schedule... I would pass.

3. P220 - HEAVY, low capacity, same issues as above with trigger. LOTS of history of reliability issues with LE agencies that actually shot theirs. I would RUN, not walk, away from this option.

4. Beretta Px4CC - a past "flavor of the month" for PF, got a lot of airtime here. I have trouble looking at buying a $400 pistol for $850, in spite of recognizing the CC has a lot of "added" features. My vanilla Px4C had a very nice trigger, and felt OK in the hand, but the grip was very slick. While EL and others have put theirs through the paces and then some, I feel this design is very lube and maintenance intensive - that's not a bad thing if you're dedicated to cleaning and relubing regularly (but I'm a lazy $hi+ when it comes to that...) Overall, I'd say this is a good option is you have plenty of money (you are going to buy at least one "range" copy and one "carry" copy, right?)

5. HK P2000 LEM - great, reliable, accurate and durable pistol. I understand and appreciate all the LEM trigger's advantages, but I could never "mesh" with it, despite over 18 months of dedicated use. Some folks take to it like fish to water, but not me. I'd pass just based on the trigger

6. HK P2000 V3 - great, reliable, accurate and durable pistol. However, HK's DA/SA triggers frequently leave a LOT to be desired. I would not buy one without being able to personally check the trigger's weight, feel, etc. I've shot several that were very much OK, and a lot more that were horrible (heavy, gritty, a lot of stacking). However, of all the pistols you listed, this would be the top of my personal list.

7. Walther P99AS - I got nuthin'. Except to say I try to avoid "snowflake" pistols - because I seem to use my guns HARD, and frequently find myself needing service.

8. Other. CZ P07. If I were in the market for a DA/SA pistol today, this would be my first choice, by a clear margin. Reliable, accurate, shootable, and CHEAP - you can get duplicate copies of vanilla P07s for the cost of a single Px4CC. I found mine to be perfectly duty/SD worthy as it came from the factory, but if you like to tinker, CZC and CGW offer plenty of parts/springs to swap out to get your pistol "just right." Decent after market support - Night Fission now makes good NS for it. Mags are spendy, though.

Again, these are MY thoughts, based on MY experiences with the pistols you listed (and, with the exception of the Walther, I've owned and extensively shot all of them). I don't currently own any of them, as none of them did for me what my G19s do - balance size/capacity and shootability like nothing else.

Why not follow the advice in the other thread and get a second version of your carry gun or something in the same lineage, like a range/comp G34 to complement your EDC G19/26? Just an example.

Per the poll, get a second carry gun or two Px4CCs.

Personally, for a pure range, whoopdy-doo gun I would look at a 44 mag wheelie set up for silhouettes.

That SIMP article linked in the other thread has some timeless wisdom.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 03-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

HK P30 V 1.5 LEM, Beretta 92 series, HK VP, or Glock Gen5.

We're happy to help, but you're kinda dragging this thing out, buddy.

Best, Jon

Other: Glock 26/19 gen 5, or 43x/48 (dealers choice).

Hammertime
    Of your choices: HK P2000 V3

The right answer is a Glock 19 or M&P though.

Site Supporter
    This is not really what I envisioned. I'm on Tapatalk, so I can't tell if this is an actual poll thread. Regardless, my intent was for it to be a purely crowdsourced decision without any explanation of why people voted they way they did. The pistol with the most votes wins. Why that pistol got the votes doesn't matter.

Critically, the OP did not declare his intent to shoot only the selected pistol for six months. Frankly this element is much more important than choosing the pistol. I have failed.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'll run though each, and give you my completely biased and ME ONLY input:

1. P250SC - great trigger, feels good in the hand. No support, pistol is out of production. God forbid you need parts for the FCU, your pistol is deadlined. Interested to know why the SC instead of just the compact? I'm overall neutral on this option, leaning towards giving it a pass.

This gun does feel good, is accurate, sc or c.

2. P229 - feels OK in the hand. HEAVY, and lower capacity than comparable (and even smaller/lighter) pistols. DA trigger from the factory is likely to be somewhere between "meh" (based on weight and feel) to horrendous. SA trigger OK. Still in production, so you can get it fixed if something breaks. Also, costly, due to Sig's pricing schedule... I would pass.

The P series triggers are easy to work with; not so heavy and 15 +1 rounds

3. P220 - HEAVY, low capacity, same issues as above with trigger. LOTS of history of reliability issues with LE agencies that actually shot theirs. I would RUN, not walk, away from this option.

I was not aware of this. For years, Ive read of it's reliability, accuracy, and shootability. It's a P series platform; can you elaborate

4. Beretta Px4CC - a past "flavor of the month" for PF, got a lot of airtime here. I have trouble looking at buying a $400 pistol for $850, in spite of recognizing the CC has a lot of "added" features. My vanilla Px4C had a very nice trigger, and felt OK in the hand, but the grip was very slick. While EL and others have put theirs through the paces and then some, I feel this design is very lube and maintenance intensive - that's not a bad thing if you're dedicated to cleaning and relubing regularly (but I'm a lazy $hi+ when it comes to that...) Overall, I'd say this is a good option is you have plenty of money (you are going to buy at least one "range" copy and one "carry" copy, right?)

Waiting on this one; hoping it deserves the hype. For me, shooting different TDAs or revolvers cross trains well; don't know about two of them.

5. HK P2000 LEM - great, reliable, accurate and durable pistol. I understand and appreciate all the LEM trigger's advantages, but I could never "mesh" with it, despite over 18 months of dedicated use. Some folks take to it like fish to water, but not me. I'd pass just based on the trigger

Agree

6. HK P2000 V3 - great, reliable, accurate and durable pistol. However, HK's DA/SA triggers frequently leave a LOT to be desired. I would not buy one without being able to personally check the trigger's weight, feel, etc. I've shot several that were very much OK, and a lot more that were horrible (heavy, gritty, a lot of stacking). However, of all the pistols you listed, this would be the top of my personal list.

Perhaps, if the DA will take a reduced hammer spring.

7. Walther P99AS - I got nuthin'. Except to say I try to avoid "snowflake" pistols - because I seem to use my guns HARD, and frequently find myself needing service.

I've heard "snowflake" applied in so many ways; how do you mean it for this gun?

8. Other. CZ P07. If I were in the market for a DA/SA pistol today, this would be my first choice, by a clear margin. Reliable, accurate, shootable, and CHEAP - you can get duplicate copies of vanilla P07s for the cost of a single Px4CC. I found mine to be perfectly duty/SD worthy as it came from the factory, but if you like to tinker, CZC and CGW offer plenty of parts/springs to swap out to get your pistol "just right." Decent after market support - Night Fission now makes good NS for it. Mags are spendy, though.

Tried CZ; springs, hammer cam, gritty.....

Again, these are MY thoughts, based on MY experiences with the pistols you listed (and, with the exception of the Walther, I've owned and extensively shot all of them). I don't currently own any of them, as none of them did for me what my G19s do - balance size/capacity and shootability like nothing else.
    psalms144.1: Thank you for your experienced thoughts and time; btw, if glock made a gun with a different grip angle, they might do it for me too.
    Last edited by gunrascal; 03-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.

User Tag List