Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used AR Lower Question

I'm not saying there are not FFL's that will not do it, but every one I am familiar with, to include standing behind the counter for at times, will only book a AR in from a individual as either a rifle or a pistol, they only book them as others from the distributors, I also have not seen too many people trying to sell used stripped lowers through FFL's around here, Typically those are armslist sales conducted in Walmart parking lots.....

"Yet it was proveably a rifle at one point, as recorded in FFL #2's bound book, and can't legally be made into a pistol."

I know that the ATF's position was once that becoming a rifle was a one way street, but I thought they had changed that to 'if originally assembled as a rifle, always a rifle, but if originally assembled as a pistol then you could change pistol->rifle->pistol->rifle to your heart's content. Have I gotten a bum steer?

See, for example:
    " However, it is perfectly legal to build the receiver into a pistol first and then convert it to a rifle. If the receiver is built into a pistol first, you can configure it back and forth from handgun to rifle and back again as much as you want.

There is some wisdom in building every AR-15 lower receiver that you purchase into a pistol first. That way you have the maximum versatility should you want to convert it to a pistol later."

from: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/11...isconceptions/

which cites: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ru...stols/download

I think the second 'Held further' is addressing the question, though it's hardly a model of clarity:

"Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
    when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a
    barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration
    not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol)."

(BTW, I concur on the 'why take a chance' sentiment; only build pistols on lowers you know the history of. Besides, you wanted another rifle anyway :-))

Another vote for just buying a new spare lower. They’re available in every price range and it’s a buyer’s market. You can get a PSA or Anderson lower for $40. You can get an Aero Precision loser for $50-60. You can get a Sons of Liberty Gunworks or a Sionics Weapon Systems lower for around $90.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

With the market where it's at right now, I wouldn't even bother with a used lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    With the market where it's at right now, I wouldn't even bother with a used lower.
    Right? With PSA running deals all of the time, you can snap up a dedicated AR pistol lower for beer money prices.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Right? With PSA running deals all of the time, you can snap up a dedicated AR pistol lower for beer money prices.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking more along the lines of Aero Precision, but I recognize that my luck with PSA seems to be worse than others.

I did grab one of their $39 free shipping stealth lowers a few months ago, this one happens to be in spec and it's wearing a BCM LPK, LAW folder, SBA3, and 6933 upper.

The upper I bought from them around the same time was dog shit.

User Tag List