Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Range Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Favorite range gun is a 1911. My carry gun is a 1911 as well.

I have others, but I shoot 1911s the most. Most of what people say about how it's bad for your skills development to shoot a bunch of different guns is true.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    even for fun? How's JM do it?

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I think this is at least the fourth thread the OP has started in which he solicits pistol purchase advice (2 here and 2 on the HK forum). There may be more on other forums.

Here is what I'd like to see: the OP would set up a poll listing 5 to 10 guns that he deems acceptable and within his price range. We pick the gun for him via poll, and then he only shoots and carries that pistol for at least six months. I would want a firm commitment on this point. Some performance tracking would be nice to have, but it's not critical. I've thought about doing this myself just for fun and as a way to try carrying something besides a Glock, but I'm really pretty happy with my G19/26s, despite how enamored I am with my P30. I think it'd be interesting to see what happens.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    i like this idea and will work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    JM = Jerry Miculek?

I don't think you or others, to include myself, have the same level of time and money to put towards training that JM has invested to this point in his life. If you do, that's seriously awesome, but for most of us it's a matter of prioritization.

That's not to say you can't have fun when you go to the range, but I make it a conscious decision prior to going what I'm going to bring and what I'm going to work on. If I'm going to shoot for fun or with other people, I may bring a larger variety, but if my goal is to get better, I only bring the same 1-2 firearms each time.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I actually work with one gun at a time for several months or until I realize it's not for me.

Don't have a favorite. Do shoot 5" 1911 guns and a couple Commanders and S&W revolvers. Also, trying to like a Glock 19 at the moment but can't get past the crunchy trigger. Actual carry guns are 642 revolvers and I do shoot them. Not worried about wearing them out. Never ever have I worn out a gun. Some with thousands of rounds thru them. It would get awful boring to just shoot one type gun all the time.
    Last edited by Pistol Pete 10; 03-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    It would get awful boring to just shoot one type gun all the time.
    Do people get bored of playing basketball because the ball is always the same?

Or baseball because the bats are all the same?

Does Tiger Woods get bored of golf and grabs a different set of irons to play with just to shake it up?

I don't know the answer to any of these but in general I'd guess no.

Fall in love with the process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    When you get that good, let me know the secret

That said...I've been mulling over a rimfire for the occasional steel challenge because reasons.

Honestly, every time I shoot it's for fun. I'm neither a professional competitor whose livelihood depends on taking home trophies, nor am I a face shooter, whose life depends on gun skills. That's mostly why I shoot 1911s. Because to me, they are the most fun. If I enjoy shooting them, I'll practice more, and if I practice more, I'll get more betterer and if, God forbid, I have to shoot for reasons that aren't fun, it'll probably be best to have some familiarity with whatever happens to be in my holster. Which will probably be a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    When you get that good, let me know the secret

That said...I've been mulling over a rimfire for the occasional steel challenge because reasons.

Honestly, every time I shoot it's for fun. I'm neither a professional competitor whose livelihood depends on taking home trophies, nor am I a face shooter, whose life depends on gun skills. That's mostly why I shoot 1911s. Because to me, they are the most fun. If I enjoy shooting them, I'll practice more, and if I practice more, I'll get more betterer and if, God forbid, I have to shoot for reasons that aren't fun, it'll probably be best to have some familiarity with whatever happens to be in my holster. Which will probably be a 1911.

Nice post; thanks 45dot

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Probably not, but I've played with tons of guys that like to play basketball regularly for fun. They jack up shots during warm up, then get some run in playing pickup games. They don't work on drills or develop specific skills, so despite playing for many years, their skill level is basically plateaued. I've seen other new guys get into basketball for fun and surpass them quickly since they DID do the work to develop skills relevant to basketball, with shooting and ball-handling being the most obvious areas.

Again, nothing wrong with playing a sport for fun, but your outcome will be different from someone that goes in with a plan and works to improve specific skills and the parallels are directly applicable to what we do.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Or baseball because the bats are all the same?

Does Tiger Woods get bored of golf and grabs a different set of irons to play with just to shake it up?

I don't know the answer to any of these but in general I'd guess no.

Fall in love with the process.
    I could play baseball but I know I'd have more than one bat besides in baseball you do more than just bat. Less than no interest in Golf or basketball. They seem pointless.
    To really blow your mind I also shoot Skeet, Trap, 5 stand, and Sporting Clays, Yep, I own 10 shotguns, pumps, semis and over/under guns. Also shoot rifles too, all except 2 ARs have wood stocks and blued steel, bolt action and semi-auto, AND a couple lever actions..
    Another point, the people who play baseball and basketball get paid to play as does Tiger Woods. Don't get stuck in a rut.
    Last edited by Pistol Pete 10; 03-21-2019 at 03:33 PM.

User Tag List