Thread: Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140 BTHP

Site Supporter

Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140 BTHP

I just returned from a 4 day Precision Rifle training Class at K&M Precision in Finger TN. I shot a custom 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun and used Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP ammunition. I used the factory stated BC of .580, the box stated 2690 fps and it chrono'd 2710 in my rifle at about 40 degrees in ballistics calculator.

I have shot about 400 rounds of this ammunition with good results out to 500 yards at my home club. In general, it has been a 3/4 inch 5 shot group load in my custom bolt rifle and a 1+ inch 5 shot group load in my Bergara HMR (the Bergara shoots other 6.5 CM at 3/4 inch - it does not prefer the AG load).

I was able to shoot consistent 3/4 inch groups on the 100 yard dot drills at the course with the Hornady AG 6.5 140 BTHPs.

We confirmed our dope out to 1200 yards. The AG 140 BTHPs shot to the ballistics chart out to 1000 yards the first day. After 1000 yards, I had to add more elevation to hit at 1100 and 1200. Instructors said the AG 140s were not really match ammo so they were not surprised I had issues past 1000.

I shot 425+ rounds of the Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHPs over the 4 day course with no issues and I do not think I missed any shots due to ammunition. On the last day we had a mock match with 8 stations. At one of the stations we shot the 1000, 1100, and 1200 yard targets again and I hit at 1000 but was "high" at 1100 and 1200 using my dope from Day 1 - I suspect the ammo was shooting to the ballistics charts all along and the "dope" issue on Day 1 was me and not the ammo.

The price on this ammo has increased recently but still seems to be a good (best?) deal for 6.5 CM "match". I plan on keeping 400 rounds of it on hand for future class or competition use. I also am building up my 6.5 CM brass in case I choose to reload for the 6.5 CM.
    Last edited by ranger; 03-20-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Impressed it worked well for you in that environment. I have had really good luck with the same ammo in my Tika CTR and my custom AR10 out to 1000 yards. My elevation matched the charts out to 700 yards, but I needed 2+ MOA more than predicted at 1000 at my club most sessions.

My 22" Criterion barreled PSA PA65 shot the best group to date with the same ammo.

10rds , 100yds , benched, scoped, bagged front and rear. PA65 has a Adj. GB, heavy 9.3oz rifle length buffer, Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoil spring.. and most importantly.. the upper receiver face has been lapped flat and Loctited in place.

I don't shoot like this everyday..and choked the flier.... I was very surprised by the group from the bargain ammo.

Name:  IMG_3229A.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  35.9 KB

I know that this thread is a year old, but I thought that I would give it a shot anyway. Ranger, I see that you are in Canton and your home range goes out to 500y. I'm in Cumming and have been looking for a range that I can stretch out further than 100y. Any chance that I could get some information about that Range? I am not one of the loud, obnoxious shooters that one sometime encounters. I'm just looking to improve my skills and have some fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodog View Post
    I know that this thread is a year old, but I thought that I would give it a shot anyway. Ranger, I see that you are in Canton and your home range goes out to 500y. I'm in Cumming and have been looking for a range that I can stretch out further than 100y. Any chance that I could get some information about that Range? I am not one of the loud, obnoxious shooters that one sometime encounters. I'm just looking to improve my skills and have some fun.
    I responded to your PM. Pickens County Sportsman Club between Jasper and Ellijay GA.

User Tag List