Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Hi Power back from The Action Works

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Hi-Power will nick me across the inside of my left thumb knuckle if I'm not careful. Depending on the gun I think it is either the bottom of the slide itself or the sharp pointed spot on the safety notch that bites me. The spur hammer as used by FN since the 1970's doesn't pinch me but the old school ring hammer sure does.
    Ha! I just read my post. Why did I say left thumb gets cut? I shoot right handed. I was thinking left side of the slide cuts my right thumb....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I had a beautiful late 60s T series with the ring hammer...it was just painful to shoot between the seemingly piano wire thin trigger welting my finger, and then the shank of the hammer eating the web of my hand like it was hungry for human sacrifice. I couldn't get more than 3 or 4 mags through it before my finger got a welt and my hand got bloody. I wound up selling it because as much as it physically hurt me, I couldn't bring myself to send it out to get cut up. The spur hammer on the new one I bought to replace it still ate my hand, but it was the spur of the hammer this time...not the shank. Go figure.
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 03-26-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typoed, meant late 60s

Quote Originally Posted by obremski View Post
    I had a beautiful late 60s T series with the ring hammer...I couldn't bring myself to send it out to get cut up.
    I understand that. If and when I send a real Hi-Power out for serious mods it'll likely be an Israeli surplus MKII or MKIII off Gunbroker. Something that's already got zero collector value/interest.

The spur hammer on the new one I bought to replace it still ate my hand, but it was the spur of the hammer this time...not the shank. Go figure.
    Note the abbreviated spur hammer that's in my FEG. The previous owner(s) took a file to the tang and removed a quarter inch or so. Whoever did it actually did a pretty decent job of squaring things up and making it look clean and intentional. I don't know for certain but think the hammer is an FN part and not a FEG part because I've never seen an original FEG with anything other than a ring hammer. The one caveat to this is the Kareen pistols. Those all seem to have come with a spur hammer.

I understand that. If and when I send a real Hi-Power out for serious mods it'll likely be an Israeli surplus MKII or MKIII off Gunbroker. Something that's already got zero collector value/interest.
    Yup - I bought an Izzy MkIII (early, forged frame sadly...I was looking for a cast one, but oh well, cheap is cheap) for future projects that I may or may not do. It fails the click test pretty badly and has a trigger pull best measured in kilograms and not pounds...but, it's a BHP, and it'll make a great tackle box gun if I ever need one for that purpose. I'd splurge and buy a Bar-Sto or other BHP threaded barrel for it for giggles but that would cost nearly as much as the gun did

There's a tiny part of me that wants to buy a .40 BHP just to see how it shoots..

Yup - I bought an Izzy MkIII (early, forged frame sadly...I was looking for a cast one, but oh well, cheap is cheap) for future projects that I may or may not do. It fails the click test pretty badly and has a trigger pull best measured in kilograms and not pounds...but, it's a BHP, and it'll make a great tackle box gun if I ever need one for that purpose. I'd splurge and buy a Bar-Sto or other BHP threaded barrel for it for giggles but that would cost nearly as much as the gun did

There's a tiny part of me that wants to buy a .40 BHP just to see how it shoots..
    I have a friend who sent a 40 BHP out and had a 9mm barrel. His plan was to use it extensively with +P ammo. I need to reach out to him and see how that project came out.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oduction-ends/

Nice pic of the Brit. 14 Int?

Mexican crossdraw appendix!

Do you have a craving for Gulyas or Paprikash yet?

All I can say is: Kurva jó!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Do you have a craving for Gulyas or Paprikash yet?

All I can say is: Kurva jó!
    Hungary is known for many wonderful things...

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Nice pic of the Brit. 14 Int?

Mexican crossdraw appendix!
    At least his finger is off the trigger.

Is the hammer back? I can't see that clearly on my phone.

User Tag List