Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Hi Power back from The Action Works

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    MKIII pistols look good with them certainly.

Another consideration; does a $400 pistol warrant $80 grips?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I thought they were warranted on a $350 gun
    Name:  KIMG1163.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  55.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I thought they were warranted on a $350 gun
    Name:  KIMG1163.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  55.4 KB
    Another way to phrase. Would you put VZs on a Taurus?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another way to phrase. Would you put VZs on a Taurus?

Well, I wouldn't buy a Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Well, I wouldn't buy a Taurus.
    Well, there is that.

I have generally been pleased with the FEG clones but the later model guns were pretty sloppy. I'm sure there are plenty out there who wouldn't buy one regardless of price.

I've only shot a few and they worked just fine. I'd have no problem buying one. Yours looks great and I think getting the best grips no matter the price will make it a great whether wood or g10.

From my own observations over the years, the FEG pistols started out nice but eventually fell victim to what often happens. Quality goes down to meet a price point.

The first guns I remember seeing were Hi Power-ish but differed in the shape of the grip tang. These guns also had a vent rib on top of the slide.

Second batches were basically clones of the 60s and 70s vintage Browning. They were nicely fitted and polished with a nice finish and nice grips. Sights were the tiny rear sight and half moon front.

Third batches were similar to the old school Browning but had slightly improved 3-dot sights. Fit and finish was decent but not as good as the earlier guns.

Next up were guns with black plastic grips and an extended safety. These were usually pretty sloppy and I believe were the true "price point" clones.

Last batches had a 1911 style slide stop. The few I've seen use slightly different lock work and a barrel that isn't a Hi Power copy. But there may have been some guns that fell into this category that still used Browning pattern guts. I'm not sure on this one.

Also imported but made by FEG were the Mauser guns. These appear to have been built to the tighter fit and finish but bear Mauser branding. I'm not a Mauser collector but wouldn't mind having one of these just because.

Anyway, none of this is anything more than observations from owning a few of these over the years, seeing them at shops and shows, etc.

BTW--this gun here is one of the models that had wood grips (obviously) but with the 3-dot sights.

Forgot about the Charles Daly/FEG guns. I've never seen one in person but these were reported to have come into the country as partially complete and then were finish machined in the States. Quality is generally reported to be good and they seem to bring a pretty decent price.

https://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007...ning-hi-power/

Quote Originally Posted by obremski View Post

Yes, VZs can look pretty swank on the right tool
    Nice heater. Who did the work?

Here's a set of Spegal grips on my BHP. They're kingwood, I think.
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_ecd.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  63.0 KB

I bought the pistol in 1981, but the grips sometime around 2009. Funny -- I couldn't find any for sale so I called Craig Spegal to ask if he knew where I could find some and he had them available.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 03-22-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Here's a set of Spegal grips on my BHP. They're kingwood, I think.
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_ecd.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  63.0 KB
    Thanks. Consider them sold pending funds. Please PM with payment instructions.

User Tag List