Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Hi Power back from The Action Works

Hungarian Hi Power back from The Action Works

Here is a PJK-9HP I bought used from a friend some months back. The pistol was the typical B-series pistol with the high gloss blue. As seems to be common with these guns, there was some evidence of over polish. A few slightly crooked/ buffed out lines, etc. Also, the gun failed the click test. I have no history of usage. My friend said he never shot it. Despite the poor safety/sear engagement the gun seemed generally tight and mechanically sound.

I sent it to Mr Williams right after I bought it with the instructions to put on some decent sights, flatten and polish the feed ramp and clean up the sear engagement. I also asked him to refinish in matte blue.

The gun came back today and I don't think I could be happier. The matte finish looks great. The feed ramp is nice and shiny and the trigger breaks at a crisp and clean 6 pounds. The sights look great. They're big enough to be useful but not so big they overpower the pistol and look like a complete afterthought. Yeah, I'm talking to you Browning and your adjustable sight models...

I think my only regret is not having some additional work done. I probably should have had the mag well beveled and an extended/ambi safety installed.

No worries. The gun looks great and will work fine as an occasional shooter and general range toy.

Thanks, Don. You do nice work!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-20-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Another with the hammer back. Note the bobbed hammer. This was done by a previous owner at some unknown point.

What does the hive mind say? Change the grips or keep the classic wood? And if I do change what do I go to?

That Hi Power looks really nice. Don Williams does first-class work.

I like the grips but wonder if they provide enough traction with the smooth frame straps. If they work for you, I would keep them. If not, some VZ320 would work really well.

In better lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What does the hive mind say? Change the grips or keep the classic wood? And if I do change what do I go to?

I think the whole thing is a mess and you should immediately send it to me.

I'd keep the wood. Love the classic look.

I vote for LOK grips and checkering the front and back straps.

Site Supporter
    Nice. Looks great. I want to get an SFS kit in my Hi Power at some point. Probably some sights. I suppose a trigger job wouldn't hurt either.

Let us know how she shoots.

Find a set of Craig Spegel grips (last I recall Cylinder & Slide sold them)...they're worth the money. Alternatively a set of VZ G10 grips, if you prefer slimmer grips, are good to go as well. You can also get a set of Navidrex grips from Brownells (Currently on backorder) - they might require a little fitting but they also work really well, and are a lot less expensive than other alternatives in general.

All of these options will turn the grip from a 2x4 facsimile to something that's really super comfortable. It's probably the biggest ergonomic change you could make to a BHP...

Safety still looks too small...

User Tag List