Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Light Thread: Doggy Duty

Jay, I'd take NH's word on this. He's far more educated on the subject than I. (But I know what I like.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks gents!

So, I'm not dealing with the degree of dark you're talking with primarily, but my primary use of a light is dog walking. I run two-mode lights with between 500 and 750 lumens on high and ~30'ish on low. I use low way more often than high. But the high is nice to have when I find a dark crevice or a dark part of the park or whatever. Point being, 600 lumens is overkill for lighting up that pile of dog shit you need to pick up, but 30 isn't enough to find your dog in a dark park. So a two mode or multi-mode light is my preference for this work.

With an o-ring to secure over your finger or switchback or lanyard, I don't necessarily find a need for a wrist or head lamp. Though they are useful from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    With an o-ring to secure over your finger or switchback or lanyard, I don't necessarily find a need for a wrist or head lamp. Though they are useful from time to time.
    A headlamp gives you much more use of both hands...whether for something mundane, or something of an emergency.

When I walk with one of my handhelds at night, I miss the headlamp. It's that much better. (At least in my environment.)

Thanks, I think I’m going to order the G2 but will keep watching here for other options.

This is a 15.5 year old Border Collie that has arthritis and stability issues so we are simply doing our business and roaming the front yard a little. A couple months ago the neighbor dog got out and made a bee line for us and then last night someone was looking for the previous resident at 8:15 PM (we’ve been here almost 10 years).

Poop duty will be a big portion of the use but I’d like the extra juice for cases as described. I like the Pro Series with the dual light but do not want the low default and I think the single power will be easier on the wife so she can just hit the button and it’s on. I also don’t envision myself or the wife putting a headlamp on at 3:30AM when her bladder is wanting relief. It’s a quiet street and neighborhood and she has slowed greatly so we go out leashless and the light and poop bag will be all that I have.
    Last edited by Bratch; 03-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Two modes is indeed very handy to have, but I'm not a fan mode change via the clicky. In this regard, the Malkoff high-low bezel switch works well as you can preset the mode before turning on the light.

In terms of a light that gets around 1,000 lumens with the high-low capability via the bezel switch, the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 is a great choice. Even on low, the beam is extremely useful and will run for days.

You can Lego the HD 18650 (without the charger and battery) for less, purchasing the head and MD2 body separately.

For a slightly smaller set up, the Bodyguard v.2 complete light is worth a look. The light fires up at 1,000 lumens every time, but steps down to 200 lumens after 10-seconds (a blip of the switch resets it). The 200 lumen output and beam pattern is really perfect for the dog walking drill, with 1,000 lumens quickly on-tap if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    A headlamp gives you much more use of both hands...whether for something mundane, or something of an emergency.
    That Nitecore looks good, and I agree on the utility of hands-free light for taking Fido out for the evening walk. I assume you still keep a hand held in a pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That Nitecore looks good, and I agree on the utility of hands-free light for taking Fido out for the evening walk. I assume you still keep a hand held in a pocket?
    Not always...but sometimes. (Probably should. It's dark around here at night.)

You won't use a headlamp around here unless you want a million bugs on your face and head

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    You won't use a headlamp around here unless you want a million bugs on your face and head
    Funny you mentioned that...when it's too warm for a watch cap I like to use one of these.

User Tag List