Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I guess I'll poke the bear: Hodge

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    Interesting thread, and I still don’t understand the hype nor the ridiculous prices people are paying to even piece a Hodge together from parts since the completes are so scarce. Great marketing angle though. Although the release of FN rifles under the Hodge name kind of goes against all this personally built voodoo wizardry people speak of. I’ll take an SR15 over a Hodge any day even if it weren’t heavily discounted. In the end I guess we all get what we like, as we should.
    If your goal is to buy a premium carbine, I don't understand why the choice would be anything other than a KAC rifle. Regardless, the cool kids say Hodge is the best so that combined with exclusivity drives the hype. What I found interesting about the Hodge stuff was how nobody would come right out and say this, this, and that are why it's the best. It was always presented as trust me it's the best or if you know, you know. It may very well be the best thing know to mankind, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Which is all well and good, except I don't think a 1911 comparison stands, because the quality of a Colt AR is significantly higher than the base quality of a Colt 1911, and the AR design itself doesn't leave nearly as much to be gained from meticulous hand-fitting as a 1911.

I, too, don't see much value in the top-shelf boutique AR's. If an off the shelf BCM or Colt model won't do it, Sionics has options too for a nice price. If I wanted some kind of designer top-shelf AR, I'd be buying a KAC or HK MR556. But I doubt I'll ever run a single rifle to the point where an MR556 or KAC would serve me better than the Colt options I already have.
    Yes, but I wasn't talking about a Colt 1911. I'm talking about a tuned, fitted, polished Heirloom Custom 1911.

I can't recall if I read this, or heard it on a podcast, but apparently Mr. Hodge will order parts oversized and fit them to the accompanying piece. That's what I mean by comparing it to a Burton 1911.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

From what I remember, it’s still an even split between KAC and HDSI as the best. I’d probably try one if they were more available, but BCM fills every role I need except for the Gucci cool kid club, and since Hodge guns are hard to get, I’m fine with getting a KAC for that (at some point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Yes, but I wasn't talking about a Colt 1911. I'm talking about a tuned, fitted, polished Heirloom Custom 1911.

I can't recall if I read this, or heard it on a podcast, but apparently Mr. Hodge will order parts oversized and fit them to the accompanying piece. That's what I mean by comparing it to a Burton 1911.
    I find that to be completely unnecessary and a waste of money if the goal is a quality fighting AR15 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I find that to be completely unnecessary and a waste of money if the goal is a quality fighting AR15 rifle.
    As a civilian I agree with you. If I were police, contractor, or in any other profession where slinging lead was a part of the job description, I would not hesitate to drop $3k on a tool of the profession.

As a civilian I agree with you. If I were police, contractor, or in any other profession where slinging lead was a part of the job description, I would not hesitate to drop $3k on a tool of the profession.
    That’s not really how it works with AR’s. It’s kind of an apples and oranges comparison. A precision bolt gun is more similar to a hand fitted 1911, while an AR is more like a Glock.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I guess I'll poke the bear: Hodge

I’d happily buy a $1,500 BCM and spend the rest on other stuff, like NODs or IR lasers.

ETA - or more importantly, a Razor 1-6 and mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-20-2019 at 07:21 PM.

I don't buy into the idea that the rifle I choose for home defense should be any less quality than a rifle I'd choose as cop or soldier.

I understand why KAC costs what they do, and I understand the reasoning for all the proprietary stuff and why they do it.

I don't see the allure of a Hodge unless you're just wanting a boutique gun that isn't made in Titusville FL.

Ya'll need to go to Primary and Secondary and read the Hodge thread. Jim Hodge posts in it (or he used to, anyway). Lots of end user input (of which I am not. I am parroting what I've heard/read).

Seriously - if you're asking a legit question and not making a bash thread, go to the source.

Site Supporter

I know. I'm talking about the vastly wider difference between a Colt 1911 and that Heirloom Custom compared to the difference between a Colt AR and one of these boutique AR's - and there's less value IMHO found in the boutique AR vs a nice custom 1911.

As a Soldier, we're not given the choice and quality is based entirely on knowledgeable maintenance and availability of replacement parts. I have no problems with the Colt or FN made M4 or M16, the preponderance of shitty old magazines for both of them is rather annoying to see in the Army, though.
    Last edited by JRB; 03-20-2019 at 07:32 PM.

User Tag List