Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Automags (and 1980s men's adventure fiction?)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    On a slightly more serious note: Has the progress in multi-axis machining centers and short-run custom production made this kind of project *more* viable than it was a couple of decades ago?
    Typically the answer is no. Products need to be designed with modern machining and manufacturing technology in mind to reap the majority of the benefits.

In this particular case it's hard to say without seeing the blueprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I cut my teeth on Mack Bolan books but this is a pss for me.
    I started reading Don Pendleton's stuff when I was probably too young, but I'd already long been tainted by the comic book, Warlord, with Travis Morgan cutting a swath through his enemies and unleashing thunderbolts of death and destruction from his .44 Automag!

Name:  Warlord Automag.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  43.8 KB

And no, I won't be buying an Automag, either. But a Grizzly LAR...maybe, just maybe. Got to shoot a mag through one eons ago, never forgot it.

Name:  Shakedown LAR.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  92.3 KB
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 03-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Has the progress in multi-axis machining centers and short-run custom production made this kind of project *more* viable than it was a couple of decades ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Typically the answer is no.
    Maybe another spin on this might be the practical availability. The machines have been around, but it is my understanding (been out of that market for a while but spent a long time selling into it) that a lot can be bought now for price levels that might make it more applicable. A couple years ago it was explained to me in a job interview process that significant mold business is coming back onshore, because you can buy a high speed spindle machine with multiple axis that can do net shape machining, eliminating the manual finishing where the inexpensive labor cots in Asia were the big advantage. The machine tools can be acquired at an investment level that makes it feasible to build the tools in an expensive labor market with a sophisticated tool instead of building it on a simple machine and paying a cheap guy to polish it. Many of those same sophisticated machines would be applicable to making guns. If they can do it without mold or forging tool the idea would be scalable.

IMO in this case it probably has more to do with overhead. If somebody already has (or has a buddy) that has already made the capital investments, it is just a matter of going to your guy that is already sitting in front of the software that you have already bought the license for and have them put in some time and log their hours under job cost accounting code "Automag", that is one thing. OTOH if you go sign a lease to a building because you are gonna build Automags, and buy CAD/CAM software to build Automags, and buy some CNC machines to build Automags, I am pretty sure that would be a loosing strategy.

In the first case if they sell just a thousand of them it would be $3.5 million, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I started reading Don Pendleton's stuff when I was probably too young, but I'd already long been tainted by the comic book, Warlord, with Travis Morgan cutting a swath through his enemies and unleashing thunderbolts of death and destruction from his .44 Automag!

Name:  Warlord Automag.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  43.8 KB

And no, I won't be buying an Automag, either. But a Grizzly LAR...maybe, just maybe. Got to shoot a mag through one eons ago, never forgot it.

Name:  Shakedown LAR.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  92.3 KB
    What is that movie with Sam Elliot? I remember seeing it but forgot the name. .45 Magnum I think one of the characters said.

I believe the Sam Eliot movie was called Shakedown. Peter Weller was in it too.

Ah, Thanks Blackbag!

No problem! You're welcome.

John

No 93R, no care.

Name:  2302672.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  14.5 KB

ETA: I was more a Phoenix Force guy anyway.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 03-21-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    No 93R, no care.

Name:  2302672.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  14.5 KB

ETA: I was more a Phoenix Force guy anyway.
    I don't recall Phoenix Force but I think there was an Able Team? One of the guys always carried a Python.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I don't recall Phoenix Force but I think there was an Able Team? One of the guys always carried a Python.
    I didn't care for the Able Team books, but sometimes Able Team and Phoenix Force would team up with Bolan and all hell would break loose. All the books took place in the same shared Stony Man universe.

Phoenix Force was like an early version of Rainbow Six set during the Cold War but with ninjas.

Name:  1840784.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  34.9 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List