Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Automags (and 1980s men's adventure fiction?)

As much of a fan of Dirty Harry as I am, I cannot imagine the thought process behind bringing back the AutoMag and the .44 AMP round. This is a large, expensive pistol that has no real factory ammo. How many people have $3500, time to reload, and the burning desire to "remove the fingerprints"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrJ9u-jo_E
    Last edited by farscott; 03-20-2019 at 02:48 PM.

You know, I shot an AMT AutoMag some time in 1992. I can vouch for two things.

One, if one were not wearing hearing protection (as shown in the acting scene) one would not be having normal level conversations for quite some time. (What? WHAT??)

Second, the rate and accuracy shown in the film for one-handed shooting with that particular firearm goes from sublime to ridiculous. I know, "willing suspension of disbelief", but, yes, Hollywood.

Oh, I thought of a third thing. Regardless of whether you're a gun person or not, they do get attention. Lots of attention.

So, there's probably an element out there that will always seek to possess a firearm like this... just as there's always a market for gilt AE .50 DE's.

Said market might not be made up of customers you or I would want to associate with, but it certainly exists.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    As much of a fan of Dirty Harry as I am, I cannot imagine the thought process behind bringing back the AutoMag and the .44 AMP round. This is a large, expensive pistol that has no real factory ammo. How many people have $3500, time to reload, and the burning desire to "remove the fingerprints"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrJ9u-jo_E
    Right?

When the Automag first came out, .44 Mag was about as much power as you could get in a repeating handgun. Nowadays, if your goal is power, the .44 Mag and .44 AMP are eclipsed by other cartridges.

If your goal is .44 Mag power level out of an autoloader, the Desert Eagle is a much cheaper and available platform.

So the only reason to buy one of these Automags is because you really think Automags are cool. $3500 will get you into the ballpark for a 'shooter-grade' original Automag that actually exists, as opposed to something that is potentially vapor ware.

I cut my teeth on Mack Bolan books but this is a pss for me.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

SKELI X-11, or maybe it's too early for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I cut my teeth on Mack Bolan books
    Damn, there's a name I haven't heard in years...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Why would they offer this in a proprietary caliber instead of normal magnum rounds? The whole, "it would be neat if I could shoot .357 in an automatic" factor goes away--and that, to me, is the whole point of having an automatic that shoots magnums. I guess having a weird gun can be cool... but having a weird gun that shoots weirder ammo is just annoying. I'd rather have a Coonan.

And all joking aside... I'd love to see another Bren-Ten. And a P7.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-20-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Why would they offer this in a proprietary caliber instead of normal magnum rounds? The whole, "it would be neat if I could shoot .357 in an automatic" factor goes away--and that, to me, is the whole point of having an automatic that shoots magnums. I guess having a weird gun can be cool... but having a weird gun that shoots weirder ammo is just annoying. I'd rather have a Coonan.
    The ability to get .357 Magnum ballistics out of a semi auto was done best by the 9x23 in my opinion. And we see how well that went.

The only possible appeal to the Automag would be in its .44 config, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You know, I shot an AMT AutoMag some time in 1992. I can vouch for two things.

One, if one were not wearing hearing protection (as shown in the acting scene) one would not be having normal level conversations for quite some time. (What? WHAT??)

Second, the rate and accuracy shown in the film for one-handed shooting with that particular firearm goes from sublime to ridiculous. I know, "willing suspension of disbelief", but, yes, Hollywood.

Oh, I thought of a third thing. Regardless of whether you're a gun person or not, they do get attention. Lots of attention.

So, there's probably an element out there that will always seek to possess a firearm like this... just as there's always a market for gilt AE .50 DE's.

Said market might not be made up of customers you or I would want to associate with, but it certainly exists.
    So you're saying I shouldn't get it to go with my AMT Automag III .30 Carbine, my gold plated leopard print DEagle .50, and my S&W 500?
    It's pretty racist of you to discriminate against obscenely large handguns like that.
    <song> FAT BOTTOM GIRLS YOU MAKE THE ROCKIN' WORLD GO 'ROUND!!! </song>
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

On a slightly more serious note: Has the progress in multi-axis machining centers and short-run custom production made this kind of project *more* viable than it was a couple of decades ago?

I realize that there’s a huge up-front cost in converting old drawings to 3-D solid models, but I’d think you could reduce the need for dedicated custom tooling and facilities.

When I see stuff like this, I wonder if it is somebody that has a successful manufacturing business that is an enthusiast and might be able to dabble in building guns or accessories while not being required to capitalize a bunch of equipment just to build gun stuff. As an exploratory method I do a search on the street address. In this case I came up with these folks:
    http://southernammo.com/index.htm
    Who might have a successful business going and they can filter off some fun money into building Automags instead of racing a car at the local dirt track or something. I think the Hudson guys were trying to make a living building Hudsons, if these guys can't make money making Automags they will probably just not make any Automags.

And I think some people will buy stuff like this. And the ammo probably doesn't matter because most never intend to shoot it, just collecting it. Like sum dood that has a couple originals and wants a current production version. Not me, fur damn sure, nor many that frequent P-F. Hell, us people around here think you are silly for buying something beside a Glock 19
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.

User Tag List