Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yong Lee’s Pistol Grip Technique (finger over trigger guard)

This grip works well with shorter guns: G26, Shield, .380’s, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    This grip works well with shorter guns: G26, Shield, .380’s, etc.
    If by shorter you mean "a shorter reach from grip panels to front of trigger guard" I agree. If by shorter you mean "same as full size gun but with a shorter barrel and grip", no I don't agree.

Example, a G26 has the same reach from grip to front of trigger guard as a G34. The grip isn't tall or the barrel as long, but the fit to the hand is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    If by shorter you mean "a shorter reach from grip panels to front of trigger guard" I agree. If by shorter you mean "same as full size gun but with a shorter barrel and grip", no I don't agree.

Example, a G26 has the same reach from grip to front of trigger guard as a G34. The grip isn't tall or the barrel as long, but the fit to the hand is the same.
    What is your argument? The grip does work well with shorter framed guns.

Your comment regarding Glocks is also wrong. Are you comparing two models from the same generation, with the same backstraps? What if all I know are Glock Gen 3’s with large backstraps, but now I shoot a Gen 5 Glock 26 without a backstrap?

In my quest to get more serious about pistol shooting and earn a Gabe White Pin (achieved Light Pin), I absorbed just about every piece of media about grip that I could. Bob Vogel's high grip and applying pressure with the "drumstick" of your support hand seemed to work the best for me. I had trouble getting high with a traditional grip until I read or listened to Massad Ayoob's advice to index the bottom of the trigger guard with your support hand middle finger rather than your pointer finger. I had trouble with consistent indexing. Then I watched this very video and went over the trigger guard. Problem solved for me.

It didn't improve my splits, but I can track the sights better, and the recoil arc is more consistent.

Works for me, here is a picture of my grip, and a thread I started about my pistol and grip in particular.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....2X-series-guns
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

I used to do that and my fingers are long enough it is no problem. But I quit when most seemed to say it wasn't the hot thing any more. It did seem to reduce muzzle rise but a 92 doesn't recoil/rise much anyway. But I started competing locally 2 yrs ago and quickly found that picking up speed required a lot more attention to recoil management than my lackadaisical slow fire paper punching ever needed. Maybe I should try this again.

Yong Lee’s Pistol Grip Technique (finger over trigger guard)

It's hard to argue with success, so there obviously isn't anything critically wrong with any of these grip techniques. I've tried them all, and don't find any advantage. I have no difficulty making the sights track vertically, with minimal flip, and splits in the 0.15 to 0.18 range. The gun doesn't move in my hands using my normal grip, so there's no need to do anything more. Keeping wrists stiff, with arms extended and balanced makes much more of a difference for me.

As well there are significant disadvantages for me with the Vogel and finger-on-triggerguard grips. Rolling my hands inward applies pressure to my elbows, causing fatigue, and jacks up my transitions. Both of those grips cause my support arm to be farther forward than my strong arm, and that makes indexing and vertical sight tracking more difficult for me.

I'm being careful to describe only my own experience with these techniques, but I would not recommend anyone use them unless they were already advanced enough to be able to evaluate how it affects their performance compared to a standard grip.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-20-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I need to adjust my grip and trigger finger placement for each handgun type.
    Specifics are different for some examples:
    LCP
    J frame
    L frame
    G26
    G19
    DE
    S&W 500.
    I try different combination to find the best combo for each.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    Then I watched this very video and went over the trigger guard. Problem solved for me.

It didn't improve my splits, but I can track the sights better, and the recoil arc is more consistent.

Works for me, here is a picture of my grip, and a thread I started about my pistol and grip in particular.
    I don't get here this often, but, I'm sure this has been covered in other threads:

By rolling your wrist forward and in essence pointing your fingers to the ground, you are doing two things - tendon locking your wrist, and making it easier for your fingers to slide under the trigger guard (and your index around the front).

I have found, as you have, that this pretty much replicates what Ayoob calls the 'wedge grip.'

In the video it seemed to me that the finger around the trigger guard was more a result of rotating the wrist to lock, which I think was the point of him shooting with the strong hand relaxed/off grip.

I would caution anyone to make sure the grip they adopt works with WML's attached to the pistol if they ever use a WML.

Obviously, if you are wrapped up in hooking your finger around the front of the trigger guard as the end-all, the WML will interfere in that endeavor. But, if the index finger ends up around the front of the trigger guard merely as a result of locking your wrist, it will likely ride under the WML just fine.

After I attended a Rob Vogel course I was concerned that the grip he intro'ed during the course would interfere with WML usage, to the contrary, in my circumstances it made WML usage more sure.

JM $.02 worth exactly what you paid.

Jerry Miculek mentions finger over the trigger guard in this video. Look at 11:30.

Bill Rapier of amtacshooting.com runs his Glock finger over trigger guard. He's got big hands and it's easier for him to run it this way.

My hands aren't big enough to run a 17/19 that way.

It depends on your particular gun and your particular hand size, as it should.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List