Thread: DA shooter, training with a striker?

DA shooter, training with a striker?

I've seen lots going the other direction (from a striker to DA/SA), but I wonder about the other direction?

When I was first taught, it was with a stiker 10mm, Glock. Squeeze the trigger and watch the sights, were about all he told me after giving me a copy of military basic pistol training. The other guy had more issues (had to unlearn), so the focus was there. Neither of them, liked or shot well the 10mm I was using. Since getting back into it, I prefer a DA/SA (just personal preference), and until Saturday, all my guns are that.

I have a relatives kid, that will be learning to shoot soon and be given the option of a few former duty weapons (or money toward some other gun/whatever fits). I figured based on what I have seen/learned since, that a .22 M&P would be a good learn the basics sort of thing. (and it was available for a decent price)
    Other factors in the decision were: It has "features" my guns don't (for training about different things, such as magazine safety, etc). Striker has consistent trigger pull. (focus on the sights first), and some of their options are striker, some are DA/SA.
    I am happy with the money spent for teaching them, but am wondering about using it myself as an inexpensive trainer, to start with something like Skills and Drills, and then as I get more comfortable, (awaiting timer and time off work) shoot the more expensive ammo? Or should I when done, get something like a Firefly (similar controls to what I carry), and let this go on for teaching the other kids?

Right now, most of my training is dry fire.

Unless you already have the M&P .22, why not a Ruger MkIV or MkIV 22/45?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I think shooting anything is helpful as long as you are aware of the differences. IE we shoot Beretta 92s so I do more 1 shot against a timer than anything else because that DA shot is the most difficult. And, if I ever need it defensively, that is what I will need to do first. But once that first shot is gone the rest will be, at least somewhat, similar to a striker gun. So, 2nd shot onward, shooting either will be helpful in picking up speed and managing recoil. The .22 I think will be less useful for you, but not useless for sure. It will be great for the youngsters. A Ruger or Buckmark will be a bit easier to be accurate with, but less useful for them to get conditioned to move up to a more traditional 9mm or > pistol. BTW, you don't mention what 9mm+ pistols you already have. Do any of them have a .22 conversion available? BTW, how old is the kid? Do you need to consider pistol size vs hand size or pistol weight vs strength? The last thing you want to do is hand him something that is too big or too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Unless you already have the M&P .22, why not a Ruger MkIV or MkIV 22/45?
    Money spent. I was looking at what was available locally and what I would have liked was sold. (supporting LGS and trying to get this event going in the next two weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I think shooting anything is helpful as long as you are aware of the differences. IE we shoot Beretta 92s so I do more 1 shot against a timer than anything else because that DA shot is the most difficult. And, if I ever need it defensively, that is what I will need to do first. But once that first shot is gone the rest will be, at least somewhat, similar to a striker gun. So, 2nd shot onward, shooting either will be helpful in picking up speed and managing recoil. The .22 I think will be less useful for you, but not useless for sure. It will be great for the youngsters. A Ruger or Buckmark will be a bit easier to be accurate with, but less useful for them to get conditioned to move up to a more traditional 9mm or > pistol. BTW, you don't mention what 9mm+ pistols you already have. Do any of them have a .22 conversion available? BTW, how old is the kid? Do you need to consider pistol size vs hand size or pistol weight vs strength? The last thing you want to do is hand him something that is too big or too heavy.
    There are conversions for my "fun guns" (LTT, CZ's), but not my carry, unfortunately (where I would get the most benefit). The kid is an adult, finishing school, however hand size is always a factor I want them to be aware of, because I know one of my pistols (TZ99) and a pistol or two that they may be offered (not mine, and I would rather not release what they own) I think could be large for them. Striker guns are more what they have seen issued to parent and their fellow officers. But until we actually get to the range, I won't know which way they lean/feel comfortable.

I should probably just start with some of Todd's Pistol training drills and dry fire, until I get to the range. I am I think in part, looking for an excuse to go shoot a .22, since I never have. (and it would be a cheap way to let off some stress)
    Scheduling is getting more difficult as work is volunteering me, for junk, and I learned tonight that the boss who was off for surgery, most of last year, may be having another one (don't think I can take another 9 months of 80 hour weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Money spent. I was looking at what was available locally and what I would have liked was sold. (supporting LGS and trying to get this event going in the next two weeks)

There are conversions for my "fun guns" (LTT, CZ's), but not my carry, unfortunately (where I would get the most benefit). The kid is an adult, finishing school, however hand size is always a factor I want them to be aware of, because I know one of my pistols (TZ99) and a pistol or two that they may be offered (not mine, and I would rather not release what they own) I think could be large for them. Striker guns are more what they have seen issued to parent and their fellow officers. But until we actually get to the range, I won't know which way they lean/feel comfortable.

I should probably just start with some of Todd's Pistol training drills and dry fire, until I get to the range. I am I think in part, looking for an excuse to go shoot a .22, since I never have. (and it would be a cheap way to let off some stress)
    Scheduling is getting more difficult as work is volunteering me, for junk, and I learned tonight that the boss who was off for surgery, most of last year, may be having another one (don't think I can take another 9 months of 80 hour weeks).
    "I am I think in part, looking for an excuse to go shoot a .22, since I never have. (and it would be a cheap way to let off some stress)"
    This looks like an excellent answer to me. Especially if your carry is an M&P, go for it.

User Tag List