Thread: Glock grip reduction questions

Glock grip reduction questions

If I ever go back to a Glock it's going to need a grip reduction thanks to my stubby fingers. What I'm curious about is if the reduced grip ends up square like the Polymer 80 and Grey Ghost frames or more oval like the M&P and PX4 frames. The square grip is *ok* but I much prefer a more round grip.

Is it dependent on who does the reduction? Does the modified grip change the balance when it comes to the longer slides like the G34/35?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    If I ever go back to a Glock it's going to need a grip reduction thanks to my stubby fingers. What I'm curious about is if the reduced grip ends up square like the Polymer 80 and Grey Ghost frames or more oval like the M&P and PX4 frames. The square grip is *ok* but I much prefer a more round grip.

Is it dependent on who does the reduction? Does the modified grip change the balance when it comes to the longer slides like the G34/35?
    The tend to still be pretty square. That said, have you tried the Gen4 and Gen5 guns? They're considerably smaller than the earlier ones.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Perhaps a Glock 48 is the one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

It's going to depend on who does it. The process I use now keeps the grip from being squared off. The backstrap will retain the same curve as it does now, but the hump will be gone and the grip circumference smaller.

The reduction does not change the balance of the pistol, although it will change the feel of it as your hand will contact the grip differently with the reduction.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 03-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    It's going to depend on who does it. The process I use now keeps the grip from being squared off. The backstrap will retain the same curve as it does now, but the hump will be gone and the grip circumference smaller.

The reduction does not change the balance of the pistol, although it will change the feel of it as your hand will contact the grip differently with the reduction.

TXPO
    Can this be done to a 19x, or would the color have to change?

Thanks for the info so far.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The tend to still be pretty square. That said, have you tried the Gen4 and Gen5 guns? They're considerably smaller than the earlier ones.
    I've owned and shot Gen 4s but not a 5. It's doable but not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Perhaps a Glock 48 is the one for you.
    I've handled but not shot one. I've gotten so used to double stacks that it felt squirmy and didn't sit naturally in my hand. That can be dealt with through training and reps but then I also lose the advantage of general parts and magazine commonality across the 17/19/34 line for example. Not a deal breaker but something for me to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Thanks, I kind of figured it was shop dependent but I wasn't entirely sure.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I am literally waiting to get to the bank for a cashier's check to send mine to Bowie Tactical. I don't NEED a grip reduction, but I do need a beavertail. I don't like the snap on Gen4 beavertail, and want a beavertail without that much added girth. I get such a high grip on my glocks that my hand gets chewed up. So with the bevertail, an undercut trigger guard would be nice. And for that I think the finger grooves need to go bye bye. I think I want the frame flats near the takedown lever textured. Might as well have the grip texture match the frame flats. Also, having the mag well opened for slightly faster reloads would be a good thing after the grip gets chopped to G19 length.

Unfortunately, I am a couple of weeks away from getting to the bank for that check, and then 3-4 months away from having a finished gun in my hand to share impressions.

Bowie`s website is dangerous to those that want to monkey with gun frames. So dangerous, I will not post a link here. If you want to know you can Google Bowie tactical concepts.

And I still think it will be cool to have a pistol customized by "THE" David Bowie.

What? "THE" David Bowie is not an accomplished SWAT deputy, trainer, and polymer gunsmith? Most people think THE David Bowie is a dead rock star? The hell you say!

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-19-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Can this be done to a 19x, or would the color have to change?

The 19X's take reductions just fine.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

User Tag List