Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 question.

Site Supporter

AR15 question.

Is there an automatic version of the AR15 used by police. (I'm reviewing a book that has police using "fully automatic AR15 submachine guns.") OK, I've got the "sub" machine gun, but I realize that I don't know if it is common for police to use a modified version.
    Appreciate any knowledgable info.

It's from the same place one gets revolvers with safeties and Glock 7s.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I actually had a full auto selector AR15 issued to me in the Army National Guard. It was manufactured during Vietnam. That unit had an interesting collection of old rifles in the 90s. By the time we deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, they had all been replaced with brand new FN M16A2 rifles.

An AR15 submachine gun would be pistol caliber, and full auto/select fire if we are going to use the definitions properly.

Some police departments have used surplused military weapons, including M16 rifles, and I presume that my old AR15 in M16A1 configuration either made it into the program that puts military weapons out to police departments, a foreign aid program (sick to my stomach thinking of that), or (worse stomach ache) it got destroyed with the rest of the old weapons.
    Last edited by Duelist; 03-18-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's from the same place one gets revolvers with safeties and Glock 7s.
    Some revolvers actually do have safeties.

And I want my Glock 7, dangit!

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Some revolvers actually do have safeties.

And I want my Glock 7, dangit!
    Sure, but how many American cops carry a Webly-Fosberry?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Sure, but how many American cops carry a Webly-Fosberry?
    Probably none, but I’m pretty sure there’s a couple or three Heritage single action .22 revolvers bouncing around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Probably none, but I’m pretty sure there’s a couple or three Heritage single action .22 revolvers bouncing around here.
    I actually used to have one, years ago.

In general, I tend to chalk goofy things writers write about guns to ignorance, not some obscure technical knowledge.

Site Supporter
    I actually used to have one, years ago.

In general, I tend to chalk goofy things writers write about guns to ignorance, not some obscure technical knowledge.
    Yes, but I ding books in my reviews for those kinds of errors. (It's called research. Try some before writing.) Even ore so in this case where the author goes into a lot of technical detail. In areas I'm not familiar with, he sounds very knowledgable. I just want to be sure I know what I'm talking about before I start dinging. (It's called research. Try some before writing.)
    While I'm at it, she also has an MD520N Helicopter shot down my a .50 cal round to the belly, rupturing the fuel tank. In the book the copter loses power due to fuel starvation and craters in. Nothing about attempting an autorotation landing. Plausible?
    Last edited by Bigguy; 03-18-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Yes, but I ding books in my reviews for those kinds of errors. (It's called research. Try some before writing.) I just want to be sure I know what I'm talking about.
    While I'm at it, she also has an MD520N Helicopter shot down my a .50 cal round to the belly, rupturing the fuel tank. In the book the copter loses power due to feul starvation and craters in. Nothing about attempting an autorotation landing. Plausible?
    Obligatory TV Tropes link: Hellish Copter

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    OK, I've got the "sub" machine gun
    I'm afraid you don't. Sub-machine guns are chambered in pistol calibers. The AR-15 is not.

User Tag List