Thread: @BWT marksmanship advice thread

@BWT marksmanship advice thread

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So, between that range only having a 15 yard indoor range and the relay that carried the target to the end and back breaking I was only able to get 1 ten yard group. So, I waited until I went to the range again, and here we are.

Prepare yourselves.

Here is my Glock 34 Gen 5 (Brand new gun first time out to the range - so I needed to drift the sights some as it did favor to the left).

From left to right we have 25 yards, 15 yards, and 10 yards.

Attachment 36198

Here is my Glock 19 Gen 5.

Attachment 36199

Here is my Glock 26 Gen 4.

Attachment 36200

Finally, here is my Glock Gen 5 34 again because I thought I forgot my 15 yard target when I was sorting them into a binder and couldn't find it (so I shot another one - looks similar) and I decided just to run 20 rounds through the gun at 7 yards and focus on a 2'' circle.

Attachment 36201

My thoughts are I seem to either

A.) Need to keep with the pursuit to find yet an even smaller pistol (The groups became tighter as the gun got smaller, what's the deal here? Could have also been due to the fact I "warmed up" as I shot the 34, 19, and 26 in that order)

B.) Sell my guns, buy new running shoes, reflector vest, and a rape whistle.

C.) Figure something else out.

I did notice I had to drift my Glock 34 rear sight significantly (it may need further adjustment), and I noticed with my Glock 19 that the gun did groupings did not center until I put a medium back strap on them. I may do the same with the 34.

I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but I'm open to any and all advice.

I also have another quandry. I have somewhat different sight configurations on these pistols. But, I'll let us unpack what I've already presented here.

Thanks guys

ETA: The Target with my shooting on the 2'' circle with the 34 is Post sight adjustments. I'm thinking I'm going to put the medium back strap on it (same as my Glock 19), and bring the rear sight tool with me to the range again next time I go. Probably next Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    They’re medium to large I’d say?

They’re a little bit more thick or meaty than average, but I don’t have particularly long fingers.

The medium back strap on my Glock 19 seems to support this logic.

I also need to dry fire more regularly.

I know advice has been given in this thread historically and I appreciate and would like that, but if I need to start a different thread to sort out my individual shooting - somebody please just indicate as much.
    My hands sound similar to yours in that they are large/meaty, but with shorter fingers. Looking at your posts overall, I would first ask what, if any, training have you had in front of a known-quality instructor?

There are a lot of things I might advise you to do, but without knowing the answer to the above question I'll start here:

1. Quit switching guns. Pick one and stick to it. Even better, sell off one and use the funds or trade for a duplicate of whatever gun you pick as your primary. One of the most nuanced difficulties of shooting a Glock well is the grip interface, which directly relates to trigger reach and trigger finger placement. If you're not consistent here, you can do all the dryfire in the world and it won't help much.

2. Focus on your sight picture. Establish equal height/light, and then drill a hole through your front sight with your lazerbeam vision. Your front sight is your roadmap/GPS. It's telling you where that bullet is about to go. Pay attention to it.

3. Don't work the trigger slowly in dryfire. I think this is the biggest mistake people make. Don't stage the trigger either. Begin pressing the trigger and then complete the trigger press with the same speed/force you began it.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Looks mostly left/low left. I'd say it's not sights, or sight picture, or gun.

Grip the gun more hard. Dry fire with a really firm grip to get rid of the flinchies causing your low shots.

I don't see a problem with prepping the trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    My hands sound similar to yours in that they are large/meaty, but with shorter fingers. Looking at your posts overall, I would first ask what, if any, training have you had in front of a known-quality instructor?

None. I have a baby due next month and my wife’s going part-time. Not discrediting it, but it’s not in the cards right now.

There are a lot of things I might advise you to do, but without knowing the answer to the above question I'll start here:

1. Quit switching guns. Pick one and stick to it. Even better, sell off one and use the funds or trade for a duplicate of whatever gun you pick as your primary. One of the most nuanced difficulties of shooting a Glock well is the grip interface, which directly relates to trigger reach and trigger finger placement. If you're not consistent here, you can do all the dryfire in the world and it won't help much.

Part of the reason I purchased a 34 was to shoot USPSA. This was a save for a long-time and I always wanted one gift to myself.

2. Focus on your sight picture. Establish equal height/light, and then drill a hole through your front sight with your lazerbeam vision. Your front sight is your roadmap/GPS. It's telling you where that bullet is about to go. Pay attention to it.

3. Don't work the trigger slowly in dryfire. I think this is the biggest mistake people make. Don't stage the trigger either. Begin pressing the trigger and then complete the trigger press with the same speed/force you began it.

Fair enough. I’ll start a journal - any drills you’d recommend?
    ETA:

I started a journal over here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....651#post859651
    Last edited by BWT; 03-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List