Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trident Concepts Scoring - Touch Line = Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Full diameter hole in the target but touching the perf, and it's a miss? That's confusing for no good reason.

How is a hit on a non-threat target scored?
    I don't remember any non threat targets in the class I took, but all rounds need to be on paper or target isn't scored (meaning all hits that are on paper arent counted). 1 miss gets target DQ'd. Tough to get a passing score that way.

I liked that Jeff scored targets and quantified performance.
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 03-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.

NRA, USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA that I know of for sure give the higher value to a shot that touches a scoring line.
    NMLRA scores by the center of the bullet hole because of the wide range of muzzleloader calibers.

If a gunfighting coach wants to score only full diameter hits, I can see his point... but it makes him the only one in step.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    NMLRA scores by the center of the bullet hole because of the wide range of muzzleloader calibers.
    Pretty sure archery scores by touching the line. I never participated in organized tournaments, but figured it out because I was wondering why fat arrows were a thing.

Site Supporter
    Most competition shooting, LE, and .Mil organizations score shots touching / breaking the line as a hit. In many organizations, including my own, those who demand a higher standard, in our case SRT and Firearms instructors use the stricter “all in / no line breaks” scoring standard.

JG, came from an elite unit and is known for holding his students to a high standard. When you hold people to higher standards most either rise to meet them or at least put more effort into the attempt so there is real value in the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    People can always play one-upsmanship with standards. There’s likely a point of diminishing returns.
    Agreed. If someone else is scoring my target, and they count a line break for a +1 - that's how the rules laid it down. But in my own mind, that shot didn't count.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    His class, his rules. Full stop.

I thought that the FBI scores any round touching the outline of the bowling pin as a miss?
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

What's better accuracy standard, hit just inside 3" circle, or just outside, but breaking the perf, of 2.65" circle?
    Last edited by YVK; 03-19-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What's better accuracy standard, hit just inside 3" circle, or just outside, but breaking the perf, of 2.65" circle?
    Obviously the pound of rocks weighs more than a pound of feathers! They’re rocks!

Being local to Jeff and shooting his Gunfighter matches at TRA, I've learned to just play the game the way he wants it played. I definitely think it encourages me to be a little more cognizant of where my rounds are going and slows me down a little bit more so I'm only going as fast as I know I can get my hits. I've seen it trip up guys who come shoot the local matches and are used to USPSA/IDPA when only A-zone hits count, but they seem to appreciate the marksmanship focus as well since it mixes things up compared to most competitive shooting systems.

That said, my experience with him has always been that the hole is what matters, and a little powder residue or blown out target just calls things into question rather than being a guaranteed miss. I always bring flat-nosed rounds for that little bit of extra breathing room.

User Tag List