Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You'd Think I'd Have Learned My Lesson by Now

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Jay, that's nothing. I've been told by some internet wizards that the Russians can shoot our 5.56x45mm cartridge in their 5.45x39mm AK74s.

My retort to derp is a resounding

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Everybody knows that is the reason for the ruskies adopting the 9 mm Makarov too... you can shoot 9x19 in it

Guncounter derp is like Jason from Friday the 13th. You can never totally defeat it, and it will always be back.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  68CAC372-D3CA-4E44-86F1-052696227896.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  32.1 KB

Protective Dildo Concepts

All of this is why I do my best to abstain from having firearms conversations with those whom are dubiously familiar with the subject. The rabbit hole of derp can be deep and painful. Heck, I still occasionally have to fight that crap with my wife because “she qualified as expert in Navy boot 18+ years ago before going into IT full time”.

Now I’m not saying IT folk can’t be gun folk too. I’m IT as well. But a well informed shooter she is not, despite my best efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Name:  68CAC372-D3CA-4E44-86F1-052696227896.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  32.1 KB
    Yeah, there’s a reason I don’t get mired down in the comments section...

Site Supporter
    This conversation/discussion brings to mind one of my favorite sayings:

The confidence of amateurs is the envy of professionals.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    All of this is why I do my best to abstain from having firearms conversations with those whom are dubiously familiar with the subject. The rabbit hole of derp can be deep and painful. Heck, I still occasionally have to fight that crap with my wife because “she qualified as expert in Navy boot 18+ years ago before going into IT full time”.

Now I’m not saying IT folk can’t be gun folk too. I’m IT as well. But a well informed shooter she is not, despite my best efforts.

In my experience IT people tend to be extremely knowledgeable about firearms.

In my experience IT people tend to be extremely knowledgeable about firearms.
    Eh, they run the gamut IME. I’ve got one friend who is more of a collector than anything, but his self-defense mindset is somewhat dubious and finds Competition to be almost completely useless. I’ve got another that swears by his XD-m in .40S&W and 100rd drum mag equipped AR. I’ve got yet another that thinks his pump shotgun is all you need and assault weapons need to be banned. And then of course there’s me. All in various disciplines of IT.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Ah, the eccentricities of translation...

According to some SF colleagues who took time to investigate this bit of trivia during their GWOT Afghan sojourn, "poison", in this context of "poison bullet", refers to the small amount of poison from a bee/wasp or other insect sting. In other words, the Muj were saying the 5.45x39 mm hit like an insect bite, not the hammer of Thor.

Compared to the standard mild steel core M43 7.62x39 mm FMJ load used by the Soviets (which tended to punch through tissue without ever yawing, much like a ice-pick), the M74 5.45x39 mm FMJ offered much earlier yaw and better terminal performance.

However, 7.62x39 mm using a rapid yawing FMJ bullet like the Yugo M67 or other similar lead core FMJ's gives equivalent or better performance than 5.45x39mm; when using expanding/fragmenting JSP/JHP, then 7.62x39mm wins hands down over 5.45x39 mm...
    Doc,

Would you also include current domestic-production 7.62x39 lead core FMJs (e.g.: Federal AE, WinchesterUSA, Remington/UMC, FiocchiUSA, etc.) as part of that category (those FMJs that exhibit earlier yaw cycles)?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I tried to explain to someone on Instagram

This is where it started to go all wrong.

User Tag List