Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new “shoot me first” vest

Looking for a new “shoot me first” vest

I wear an assortment of cover garments, but I haven’t had a vest in a few years.

Yesterday I was at Duluth Trading and saw one of their vests that would work. I did grab it, but before I cut the tags off - what are people using for cover vests these days? 5.11 doesn’t usually work for me, are there other decent alternatives that don’t cost a left nut?
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-18-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Exactly what you have. Coffee Brown is the color I think. It weathers well, looks a bit faded and dingy. It’s about perfect.

If I'm wearing a vest it's because it's cool out, and if it's cool out it's going to be a fleece vest that is very light and very quick to move out of the way. Keys in the gun hand pocket.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Which Duluth vest? Most of them look kind of short, might cover the butt of an IWB but not an OWB holster.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I've been using the 5.11 soft shell vest as my 3-season (fall thru late spring) vest. It's basic black, doesn't have any obvious "shoot me" signs on it, and is middlin' warm.

When it's wicked cold, I switch to a Woolrich Elite fleece vest - it's as heavy as my old issued polartec fleece and MEGA warm. Not so great looking, though, especially with the added "camo" that my 130 pound Ridgeback leaves on it whenever he wants to snuggle...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Which Duluth vest? Most of them look kind of short, might cover the butt of an IWB but not an OWB holster.
    The solid back one that only comes in tan and grey/blue. I IWB, so it works in long length.

But, I decided I don’t care for the color so it’s going back. They iterate their products pretty quickly, so I’ll just keep an eye on future offerings. There’s a 5.11 store next to my Duluth Trading, I’ll pop my head in there too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I did not know people still sought out to wear these on purpose.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Not for concealment, but I love a thermal vest for layering. I have multiple fleece vests (including one from Duluth). I have a thin non-thermal vest that's more for carrying "stuff" while hiking, but it's not for concealment per se.

I mainly steer away from shoot-me vests for concealment alone because they feel too much like an affectation aside from the perceived tactical issues.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I like to mix things up and am occasionally in environments where a vest is appropriate.
    Ken

I got one of these Triple Aught Design vests as a present. The fabric feels luxurious and has all sorts of space age attributes. It's made in the USA, has no exterior logos and is on sale.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/equilibrium-vest/

User Tag List