Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Real ID" for ammo purchases in New Mexico

Site Supporter
    The two FFLs that receive my online purchases recently started asking to see my driver's license in addition to my carry permit when performing a transfer. The first time I thought it was odd, but I didn't say anything. When it happened at the second store, I asked why they needed to see my driver's license also. The ATF told them that concealed carry permits are not official forms of identification and therefore not a valid form of ID for completing transfer of a firearm. You can't make this stuff up.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The two FFLs that receive my online purchases recently started asking to see my driver's license in addition to my carry permit when performing a transfer. The first time I thought it was odd, but I didn't say anything. When it happened at the second store, I asked why they needed to see my driver's license also. The ATF told them that concealed carry permits are not official forms of identification and therefore not a valid form of ID for completing transfer of a firearm. You can't make this stuff up.

Because the VA CCW doesn't have our pictures on it, it has never been a source of ID. I use it to validate my state of residence for transfers (need ID and a 2nd proof of residency), and have done so for 20 years now. Regarding ammo, I normally don't need to show any ID except at Wal-Mart who does so for their own reasons.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Because the VA CCW doesn't have our pictures on it, it has never been a source of ID. I use it to validate my state of residence for transfers (need ID and a 2nd proof of residency), and have done so for 20 years now. Regarding ammo, I normally don't need to show any ID except at Wal-Mart who does so for their own reasons.

Chris
    Good point about the picture. My NC permit didn't have a picture either and wasn't even printed on a rigid material. I didn't think of that. It would have been super easy to counterfeit.

Conversely, I've used my Ohio CHL (which does have a picture, address, DOB, is a rigid, plastic card, and has a hologram of the of the Sheriff's Office seal that issued it) to pass through TSA airport checkpoints without an issue except for the TSA drone's stupid comment (you're not carrying a gun, are you?).

Site Supporter
    [drift]
    How might this new enforcement impact online ammo sales?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    [drift]
    Not at all - there is no legal basis for requiring it. The whole thing is bullshit.

Even if an online retailer wanted to cover themselves they would just add a check box certifying “I am a citizen / legal resident” just like the ones already used to certify age.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Sounds like another ATF over reach
    How do you figure? It's illegal to sell ammo to an illegal alien, so why would the ATF warning a dude to be on the look out for illegals buying ammo be an over-reach?

Conversely, I've used my Ohio CHL (which does have a picture, address, DOB, is a rigid, plastic card, and has a hologram of the of the Sheriff's Office seal that issued it) to pass through TSA airport checkpoints without an issue except for the TSA drone's stupid comment (you're not carrying a gun, are you?).
    Lots of people do stupid shit either because they're stupid or simply made a mistake and forget they can't carry a gun onto airplanes or into federal buildings.

The TSA guy was probably just looking out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The ATF told them that concealed carry permits are not official forms of identification and therefore not a valid form of ID for completing transfer of a firearm. You can't make this stuff up.
    This is correct. I'm not sure why it would engender surprise or disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    [drift]
    Not at all. Even if it becomes a thing, online vendors would simply just ask you to send a copy in to keep on file before they ship ammo to your address. This is what some online vendors used to do with customers shipping ammo to NJ as a CYA (likely for the customer's sake out of an abundance of unnecessary caution), even though NJ cannot legally regulate ammo sales made in other states.

But, it's not a thing, so it's not going to happen anyway.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Curious why a CHL that contains the same personal ID elements as a driver's license, is issued by a government agency, and contains anti forgery features is not a valid ID.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Curious why a CHL that contains the same personal ID elements as a driver's license, is issued by a government agency, and contains anti forgery features is not a valid ID.
    Likely because most CHL's aren't realID compliant?

User Tag List