Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2000 - present

RFI: Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2000 - present

I'm in the market for a new (to me) vehicle. Want to pay cash which means used, need room for 2 adults, a dog, and 2 kids in car seats. Winter weather is a factor.

I was having dinner with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago who has a 1999 Grand Cherokee that he swears by, specifically the 4.0 inline 6 motor. I started doing my research and the engine is held in high regard pretty much universally, but they stopped offering them in the Grand Cherokee in 2004. I'm willing to buy newer than that, but if I want that motor it's not an option.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either that motor or it's replacement insubsequent years? Not really interested in V-8s.

Am I nuts to be looking for (at best) a 15 year old car? Is the 4.0 really that much better than what came after it? Any known issues with these or anything to look out for?

I’ve seen plenty of people talk shit about their reliability, but I absolutely love mine. I have a 2014 V6 Laredo and my dad has a 15 or 16 Limited. We both have around 55k on them so not a ton, but enough to know that I really like it. It does seem that the higher end models with Gucci features have more problems, at least in the 14-16 MYs. But most people on vehicle forums are there to complain so who knows. The current GC is ideal size for me with similar requirements to you - two adults, one infant in car seat, and two dogs adding up to 170 pounds combined... there won’t be a ton of room for storage left over inside, but even the V6 tows very well (IMO - first time I’ve ever towed anything was last weekend). Also, I’ve been very pleased with their lifetime warranty. It’s worth looking up if you’re buying new or can find a used one with it, as I’m 99% sure it’s transferable. Their 4WD is industry leading AFAIK, and they had a badass super bowl commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2013 Overland V6 with 4WD and air suspension. This was the last year before they did their overhaul with the new transmission. Mine is the old 5 speed.

Bad Stuff:
    1) The biggest was when the alternator caught on fire. It also fried the power control board. I paid out of pocket to get it fixed, then Fiat Chrysler issued a recall and reimbursed me fully. That was scary.
    2) Minor trim falling off. The rear driver turn signal bulb burnt out after 3 years.
    3) The rear driver side blindside monitor fell off. It was secured to the inside of the rear quarter panel with glue! I re-glued it myself.

Good Stuff:
    1) I rides on the street a whole lot more comfortably than a 4Runner (esp with the air suspension).
    2) It is way easy to maintain. I can do an oil change including clean up in 30 minutes.
    3) It can go off road without worry despite its street only appearance.

It is very utilitarian. I drive it every day. It is great for the range or when I have me, wife and 2 kids. Not as much room as the 4Runner in the back but I can haul long gun cases with target stands etc with the rear seats folded down easily. When my son turns 16-ish (2 years), i will give it to him.

I have a 2018 model that I purchased last summer. Excellent vehicle. No negatives so far.

The thing that stands out most for me so far . . . . . by far the most comfortable, easy to drive vehicle I have ever owned that also has real off-road capabilities. And I have had many, many 4X4 trucks and SUV's over the years from Nissan, Ford, Chevy Dodge (RAM), Jeep, and Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with either that motor or it's replacement insubsequent years?
    I had a Wrangler with that 4.0 in the late 90s. Mostly I remember that Jeep as being relatively easy to work on which was handy because something small was always breaking. That 4.0 engine was the exception - I don't think I ever touched it aside from oil & filters. But despite sporty "high output" stickers, it still sounded and accelerated like a UPS truck.

I spent so much "free" time under that hood that I'd only buy another Jeep as a weekend offroad toy. If I were going to tote my family around in a 15 year old offroadable family suv, I'd get a Toyota 4runner/Landcruiser or Lexus GX/LX. You'll pay at least twice as much upfront though.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-21-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Friends don't let friends buy Chrysler Group vehicles.

The ZF tranny and 3.6 V6 are widely acclaimed, having a good powertrain is a large part of buying a good vehicle. Those facts led me to my purchase of a lightly used 2015, I quite like it. It did phenomenally well in the Wyoming winter a couple of months ago. Make sure to get the ZF 8 speed tranny. Also, the luxury available in the Limited and up models is really nice. Heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, remote start, nav, etc.
    #RESIST

specifically the 4.0 inline 6 motor. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either that motor or it's replacement insubsequent years?
    We bought a 2000 Cherokee XJ (not Grand) when it was a couple years old that had been a rental car when new. I forget exactly how many miles when we got it, but pretty sure we kept it until about 135k, and sold it to a buddy who was striving to double our mileage. I think it finally crapped out at about 240k. I forget what finally took it out, but my friend was not doing major maintenance himself, so it could have been fixable just not financially feasible to have it done.

Site Supporter
    We have owned two which leaked and leaked despite dealer attempts to fix problem.

Am I nuts to be looking for (at best) a 15 year old car?
    For a daily driver you need to depend on, yes.

I had a 1996 Cherokee with the 4.0 and it was a solid engine. The extent of our "off-roading" were the soft sand ocean beaches of Long Island, where with P235/75-15 all terrain tires air downed to 15 PSI, it was amazing. I often drove in 2-WD until I buried the read tires, shifted it into 4-WD and it would crawl out with no drama. The vehicle itself was not very comfortable and handled like a truck on the road. It ended up totaled when I got rear-ended on the Long Island Expressway.

Our next Jeep was a 2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd. (also purchased used) with the 4.7 V8. It was a much more comfortable vehicle but the extra weight was evident on the beach. It too handled like a truck and at around 140,000 miles lots of things were failing: blend doors in the heating/AC system (required removal of entire dashboard to fix), blower moter failed (melted harness), pinion seal leaks on the differentials, and a bunch of other stuff that made me give it up as a daily driver.

My son has had three Grand Cherokees: a 1999 he purchased "well used" and past its prime, a 2009 which he didn't like too much either, and a current 2016 which he says so far has been the best of the bunch.

Based on this, I would steer clear of any 15 year old Jeeps as trouble-free daily drivers. For a weekend fun off road vehicle, hell yeah.

User Tag List