Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA BUG division capacity

IDPA BUG division capacity

My understanding from reading the 2017 rules is that the semiautomatic BUG class has a division capacity of 6, but it does not allow 1 extra in the chamber. My local IDPA match says the BUG class has a division capacity of 5+1.

In many stages, the difference is significant (when/where & how many reloads necessary). So is there a newer rule book? Or am I misinterpreting it? Or is my local group just behind the times?

And why on earth is BUG-s the only division that doesn't allow +1?

Quote Originally Posted by IDPA 2017 Rule book
    8.1.4 Division Capacity
    SSP, ESP, SPD............. 10 rounds
    CDP, CCP.................... 8 rounds
    REV, BUG-S................ 6 rounds
    BUG-R........................ 5 rounds total
    In all semi-auto divisions except BUG-S, the shooter will also start with one additional round in the chamber, unless the stage description requires otherwise.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Rule 8.2.7 from the 2017 rulebook:

Bug-S (semi-auto) starts with 5 + 1 in the chamber. Bug-R (revolver, read J-frame and the like) starts with 5 rounds in the cylinder.

In any given match, assuming all competitors are burdened by the same interpretation of the same rule, I'm not sure where the issue lies?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    In any given match, assuming all competitors are burdened by the same interpretation of the same rule, I'm not sure where the issue lies?
    The issue lies in the never ending problem of IDPA SOs and MDs using the rulebook as a suggestion rather than what it is: a requirement. A big reason why I let my membership lapse and why I doubt I'll ever renew it.

USPSA wins, again.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-17-2019 at 06:49 PM.

When you pay to show up at a sanctioned match you expect them to follow the rules. Arbitrary modifications, even if evenly applied, are good reason for me not to return.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I've never had a match director fail to correct a variation away from the rulebook or had the issue recur once corrected. I did see much gnashing of teeth on the part of stage safety officers when their ability to call 'cover' violations went away with the advent of fault lines. It was sublime!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The issue lies in the never ending problem of IDPA SOs and MDs using the rulebook as a suggestion rather than what it is: a requirement. A big reason why I let my membership lapse and why I doubt I'll ever renew it.

USPSA wins, again.
    Meh, Just a different game. Sounds like you should explore some other clubs perhaps. Having shot a lot of both sports in a bunch of different states, I’ve not witnessed MDs not following the rules as written. What I have seen occasionally is some confusion amongst volunteer SOs due to the repeated rule changes. I think the recent rule changes have been in the right direction though (with the possible exception of the 1 second/point one).

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Meh, Just a different game. Sounds like you should explore some other clubs perhaps. Having shot a lot of both sports in a bunch of different states, I’ve not witnessed MDs not following the rules as written. What I have seen occasionally is some confusion amongst volunteer SOs due to the repeated rule changes. I think the recent rule changes have been in the right direction though (with the possible exception of the 1 second/point one).
    I'll let you know next weekend with an IDPA match on Saturday, when temps will finally be spring like in the 50s.

I was going to do my first USPSA match of the season today but the forecast changed during the week and I wasn't gonna spend 4 hours in the snow with temps in the mid 30s.

These are small matches where the BUG class typically has only 1 or 2 entrants and a large part of the fun of competition (for me) is trying to see how my results stack up with the fast guys without feeling like I have an insurmountable disadvantage.

The most frequent round count on these stages is 12 (common permutations: 6 targets shot twice, 4 targets shot 3 times, 2 targets shot 3 times + 3 targets shot twice, etc) which I believe should give everyone with a semi-auto 1 reload. Under their rules, 12 rounds requires 2 reloads which really blows up my stage time.

I could shoot in SSP, but over the course of an entire match there are enough hurdles for a small gun that I just can't hope to overcome. CCP doesn't ever get any entrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I wasn't gonna spend 4 hours in the snow with temps in the mid 30s.

Where's your sense of adventure?!

We've been up to our nuts in snow this year. We'll just say I've been making good use of my Brass Mat. I've been making a local IDPA match or two each month but I just shot my first USPSA match since late fall yesterday. It was nice to get out and the weather was sunny and in the 40s midday (a couple hours north of here). Shot a new pistol in a new division for kicks. Good fun.
    Last edited by taadski; 03-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.

User Tag List