Thread: The Malkoff Hound Dog Super

The Malkoff Hound Dog Super

Though not exactly EDC size, the Malkoff HD Super is nonetheless an amazing light.

Specs are 1,700 lumens with 75,000 lux/candela @ one meter. This head uses a TIR lens, not a reflector like the other Hound Dog variants.

The beam has an extremely bright hot spot that is also much wider than the typical pencil beam associated with high-lux/candela lights. But what is really amazing about the beam is the spill outside of the well-defined hot spot - I estimate that it is at least 160 degrees wide, and more than bright enough for night time navigation and to maintain SA. This makes the HD Super excellent for any use when long reach is needed. It also has obvious applications for self defense, both with or without a pistol.

This bright and wide spill also turns out to be a drawback for one of the uses I was interested in - as a weapon-mounted light. The light has to be mounted so far forward to avoid lighting up the muzzle device that the lens ends up flush with the end of the muzzle device, leaving the head subject to direct muzzle blast. Due to the diameter of the HD Super head, there's very little clearance between the head and the muzzle device with the Vltor mount I'm using. In comparison, the Hound Dog 18650 has a narrower angle of spill with a sharp cut-off, so the forward edge of the bezel can be positioned behind the muzzle device and not illuminate it. For this reason, the HD 18650 remains my first choice for WML use.

The light as depicted below consists of the HD Super head (6200k), a MD3 body with Tricap and extender kit. It is powered by a pair of KeepPower 18500 protected cells. On high the light has about 30 minutes of runtime, on low about 12 hours. AOL is 7-1/4" and it weighs 12 ounces. It fits comfortably in a coat pocket, somewhat less so in a cargo pants pocket. I am going to try a Maglite C-cell Holster for belt carry, it looks like it should work perfectly.

At around $300.00 total it is not an insignificant investment. Though I could use three CR123A lithium batteries, best performance and runtimes are achieved with Li-ion cells (two 18500 cells in a MD3 body, two 18650 cells in a MD4 body). Cost and power requirements aside, the light is built "Malkoff tough" and could be used to break out a windshield. It is without a doubt an extremely capable light for the purposes we might use it for.

Update

The Maglite C-Cell Belt Holster works quite nicely for the Hound Dog Super, especially if you're using a Tricap that would prevent it from fitting a holster designed for straight 1-inch body lights;

User Tag List