Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering POI

Site Supporter
    Brownell's may still sell these. S&W's armorer's kits have them. I have seen them used many times. 5 inches at 25 yards sounds excessive. That's a major adjustment. The bars are for tweaking. Proper procedure dictates using range rods to check alignment of barrel with cylinder after using bars. I have had misalignment result from the procedure. The bars have other uses as well, such applying torque to the frame itself when tweaking cylinder stop movement. I observed master Smith fitters work on 200 Model 65 revolvers shipped to the Texas prison system. The entire batch was defective.

If I had a valuable older K frame, I would not use the bars to adjust poi. Instead I would seek a load that shot to poi. Neither would I use a file on the front or rear.

People at the Smith factory told me that they no longer use the bars to adjust or fit. That may have changed.

Site Supporter
    IMO, rather than mess with the gun, I'd find a 125-135 grain bullet that it likes and load a batch for it. I know that Bayou Bullets will size their 9mm offerings up to .358 on request.

Having that gun's POI is actually a blessing in disguise since it permits the use of modern bonded 125-135 grain JHPs for defensive purposes that usually hit low from fixed-sight revolvers. The reason I still use 158-grain LSWC-HPs in my .38s is that they hit to POA with that load, not because I think that load is more effective.

Site Supporter
    I have a new .38 J frame which shoots high with 158 gr bullets. That fact did not distress me because I knew that with my +p Ranger 125 gr load poi would drop. It did as I had thought. Now I have a death ray on small rocks, dirt clods, stumps, and beer cans.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IMO, rather than mess with the gun, I'd find a 125-135 grain bullet that it likes and load a batch for it. I know that Bayou Bullets will size their 9mm offerings up to .358 on request.

Having that gun's POI is actually a blessing in disguise since it permits the use of modern bonded 125-135 grain JHPs for defensive purposes that usually hit low from fixed-sight revolvers. The reason I still use 158-grain LSWC-HPs in my .38s is that they hit to POA with that load, not because I think that load is more effective.
    130 bonded +ps still shoot high. Plus this gun is more of a backup/woods/running gun where I'd actually prefer the heavier bullets.

I've been emailing with Karl Sokol about doing some work on it.

One of the simpler things would be to get a small dovetail front sight installed. File it to sight in, shape as desired, serrate the rear face, paint with bright orange paint.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    A good smith can build the front sight by adding metal and then shaping with a file. Or a hollow sight base can be fitted and then pinned over current sight. There are ways to fix issue including inserting a slightly raised fixed rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    One of the simpler things would be to get a small dovetail front sight installed. File it to sight in, shape as desired, serrate the rear face, paint with bright orange paint.
    Agree, that's what I would do

Or I could just turn off the over head light.

All better

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

All better
    Pretty easy to get the front sight up out of the notch a little just so you can see it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

All better
    All my stainless fixed sight revolvers get sharpie and / or nail polish coloring fir just this reason.

User Tag List