Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mag-lite LED mods?

As much as I hate to toss a working light, make sure you don't spend more than the current cost of a new LED Maglite. They get discounted fairly often; Amazon right now has a 3D LED for $21.70 in a tasteful electric blue, or traditional black for $26.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    As much as I hate to toss a working light, make sure you don't spend more than the current cost of a new LED Maglite. They get discounted fairly often; Amazon right now has a 3D LED for $21.70 in a tasteful electric blue, or traditional black for $26.
    This is a fair point. I put the cheap Nite-Ize LED conversions in a couple of old 2-D lights. They went from horrible, to at least useable for utility tasks around the house. I'm sure the more expensive conversions are better, but I am not sure they are worth it, given other options on the market. Unless of course you NEED a light and a thumper in one package.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Good poinnt. However, the $26-ish one is 168 lumens; there are sub-$20 conversion bulbs that are twice as bright.

I ordered one. I'll see how it goes. Then I may get a couple more.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 03-16-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Mag-lite LED mods?

I installed the LED conversion last night. It is one hell of a lot brighter than the standard bulb. I’ll probably do that to the other large Maglites that I have.

The small ones, I’ll just replace with cheap LED flashlights.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 03-19-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I installed the LED conversion last night. It is one hell of a lot brighter than the standard bulb. I’ll probably do that to the other large Maglites that I have.

The small ones, I’ll just replace with cheap LED flashlights.
    Just be careful with the output and your use. I came across an LED conversion that said would work with the 6 D Cell versions. I put it in and turned in on in the large basement playroom to test. I'm still seeing spots and that was 18 months ago. There is an upper limit to usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    Just be careful with the output and your use. I came across an LED conversion that said would work with the 6 D Cell versions. I put it in and turned in on in the large basement playroom to test. I'm still seeing spots and that was 18 months ago. There is an upper limit to usefulness.
    What, you're not trying to spot Ju-88s at night?

Lol. No was looking for Tu-95s...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    Lol. No was looking for Tu-95s...
    Break out the Bofors!

Site Supporter
    My father in law has some of the Terralux conversions for 3D Maglights. These would be my choice if the goal is to simply keep the light useful and relevant without spending much. If I was still using big Maglights for serious purposes, I would seriously consider the Malkoff conversions.

All of my Maglights except one 2AA light have fallen victim to leaking alkaline batteries, which is one reason I now buy NiMH in AA, AAA, C, and D sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I used a 4 cell to kill a doe once. True story. That heft comes in handy sometimes [emoji16].

I would like
    To convert mine to led have had it for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List