Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mag-lite LED mods?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Mag-lite LED mods?

I have some of the old 3 & 4 D-cell Mag Lights. Has anyone converted one to LEDs?

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I have some of the old 3 & 4 D-cell Mag Lights. Has anyone converted one to LEDs?

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    I did a couple years ago using fairly inexpensive LED bulbs. Don’t remember the brand. Worked fine, certainly an upgrade from incandescent.

A few options: https://www.batteryjunction.com/magl...dupgrades.html

Malkoff makes drop-ins with full heat sinks: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...nd-accessories
    Last edited by peterb; 03-15-2019 at 08:05 PM.

I put a Malkoff LED in an old 5C Maglite and I plan to convert some 4D lights also. Makes them much more useful to me.

I have converted a couple 2AA maglites to LED and it was well worth it. I have them in my toolbox.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Thanks. When I walked early in the morning, I liked the cheap LED lights for the amount of light they thew. I liked a 4-cell Maglite for, um, other reasons.

Now I can get both uses satisfied.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    +1 for a Malkoff 4D LED upgrade. Lots of light, and something like 18 hrs of run time, if I remember correctly.
    I figured it’ll be great for power outages. I’ve been very pleased.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 03-15-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I put a Malkoff LED in an old 5C Maglite and I plan to convert some 4D lights also. Makes them much more useful to me.
    My experience also but I did a 2D & 3D. Gave them new life. Not cheap though

I have some no-name brand ones I bought off amazon several years ago that work well, I think they were about $15 to $20. I just ordered but have not received a Malkoff one in the $50 range. Not sure if it's worth 2x to 3x the price. I'm pretty happy with the cheaper ones, but ordered another 4-cell light and figured I'd try the malkoff this time around.

Thanks. When I walked early in the morning, I liked the cheap LED lights for the amount of light they thew. I liked a 4-cell Maglite for, um, other reasons.

The 5C hangs by the front door for similar reasons.

My mother in law wanted a 4D Maglite this past Christmas. I think for Mothers Day we're going to get her a Malkoff upgrade for it.
    Last edited by BobM; 03-15-2019 at 10:51 PM.

I carry one in my truck for the same reason. Long lights are easy to tuck under your arm when you need two hands, say for working on a car or cleaning up after your dog.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List