Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR Headsets

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

VR Headsets

Anyone here a VR enthusiast? Students kept asking me about VR and, having no experience personally, I decided to pick up an Oculus Rift. You know... to be a better educator.

It's an interesting gizmo, although I haven't been especially wowed just yet. It requires far more space than I imagined, so I think I'm going to miss out on many of the more intriguing aspects of the medium due to the confined area where I'm using it. But the 3D videos I've seen thus far are pretty cool, and I'm anxious to get it working with my game library to see how immersive an experience it can really provide.

Tips, tricks, and suggestions would be welcome.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Get an extra sensor or two (so you have 3 minimum, preferably 4) and can turn 360 degrees.

The Google earth maps is pretty damn cool, the Rollercoaster game will give some people vertigo and make them fall down sick.
    Beat Saber is a blast but if you're a typical white guy like me you'll look like you're having a seizure instead of dancing to the beat, hilarious at parties.

I mostly use it for the Asseto Corsa car racing simulator (I have a full blown game geek setup with a bucket seat, force feedback wheel and pedals, all that shit).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Keep in mind that the more sensors you get the more USB ports you need because sensors do not play well with USB hubs.
    If you're having trouble with tracking swap the sensors around to different USB ports, for some reason they can be real finicky as to which port works best for each sensor.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Turning 360 is really critical.

For shooters, consider Horseshoes, Hotdogs and Handgrenades VR, and Practi Sim VR.

Serious Sam: Last Hope and Superhot VR are great introductions to the medium, also shooters. These can be done with only 180.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 03-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.

I recently saw a wireless setup for the Oculus Rift that's about to come out.
    It's a little backpack with a battery and a transmitter/receiver for the headset HDMI and USB to connect to which send and receives the data to your PC..
    That'll be agame changer for freedom of movement.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I mostly use it for the Asseto Corsa car racing simulator (I have a full blown game geek setup with a bucket seat, force feedback wheel and pedals, all that shit).
    Nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Turning 360 is really critical.
    That's what I've discovered and I'm worried because I don't have that ability in the space I'm in. I severely underestimated the potential of the technology, which has "room-scale" applications.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Nerd.
    It's my safe space.

I would post the video my wife took of me playing Beat Saber but I don't think the Internet is ready for that much awesomeness.

Site Supporter
    All I know is that since Oculus hired John Carmack and Michael Abrash they probably have the best chance of anyone at making a long-term successful product -- at least from a technical standpoint.

I think Microsoft will end up being top dog in VR once the tech hits maturity, they might not be the best but they will force their way into being the "standard" much like VHS did to Betamax.
    That said, VR is very much a here and now technology. You buy what's best today because tomorrow it'll be obsolete.

Racing and flying or GTFO bro
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List