Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dark Wing" - How Does It Compare To The "Mod Wing"?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Will this work on a Phlster holster?
    The non-light bearing models, yes. Be mindful that they rely on their Tuck Strut for a soft loop attachment too. They should be stackable though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I got a couple of the Dark Wings in the mailbox today from Tom. (Thanks, Tom!)

From the look of them, I didn't think they'd work for me since I have the Vanguard claw on each of my DSG "Orion" holsters, (one with spring clip, the other with PTD loops),...but I have the claws mounted to the rear of the holster to minimize printing at the rear corner of the slide while sufficiently tucking the grip.

So, I tried out the Dark Wings on each holster, both mounted in front, and then in the rear...with and without a wedge.

After some experimentation it turns out that the best method for me continues to be with the Dark Wing mounted at the rear of the holster...along with a wedge.

With the Dark Wing, due to its lower and narrower profile, I have to move the holster outbound slightly more toward the hip, (with the outside wedge just noticeably seated in the inguinal crease). This allows the bend in the belt to catch the wing which otherwise would be beneath the line of the belt.

The Dark Wing results in the best balance of hiding both the grip and the rear corner of the Glock slide with the added bonus of a trimmer, less obtrusive holster that's easier to put on and remove. For me it works even better than the Vanguard claw did.

This may not be the best setup for everyone but it works with my 5'10" / 175 lb frame. Obviously, mileage may vary according to body type.

Well done, Tom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Images of DSG Dark Wing mounted on rear of Orion

Name:  Dark Wing .jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  Dark Wing 2.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  59.1 KB

Can this be used on your J-frame holster? Specifically the 3" version?

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Can this be used on your J-frame holster? Specifically the 3" version?
    The hole pattern lines up.

Dark Wing

Definitely intrigued by the design of the Dark Wing. Considering replacing Mod Wing with one to give it a try.

Installed mine today. Smaller footprint, single piece construction, more rigidity, and a very smart design. Goldilocks amount of tuck. I’m a big fan. Thanks again Tom!

After living with these for a while now, I'm very satisfied and the only thing needing addressing in my case was taking some sandpaper to the edges of the "steps" to blunt them.

For some reason I have a habit of abrading skin and sometimes drawing a spot or two of blood on my right thumb between the nail and knuckle when I fit the holster to my belt and into position within the waist band. This should take care of that issue as far as I can tell.

So there it is...proof that I'm thin skinned.
    Last edited by blues; 07-27-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Really enjoying the Dark Wing. Thanks Tom.

Name:  20190808_234336.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  37.7 KB
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Awesome!

Just wrote the check for the left handed mold yesterday. Four weeks out on the mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List