Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homegrown beadblast finish on a stainless revolver?

mmc, yea, me too. Never was much of a woodworker. I've done several of my stainless guns over the last several years, and never regretted investing in a blast cabinet and compressor. One of my Colts was carried every working day for several years, and every couple of years would start to look pretty ratty with holster wear, scrapes, scratches, etc.
    I was never a fan of the "Battle worn" look and have refinished it more than once. The attached photo shows the old gun after one of it's refinishes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rock185; 03-18-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    mmc, yea, me too. Never was much of a woodworker. I've done several of my stainless guns over the last several years, and never regretted investing in a blast cabinet and compressor. One of my Colts was carried every working day for several years, and every couple of years would start to look pretty ratty with holster wear, scrapes, scratches, etc.
    I was never a fan of the "Battle worn" look and have refinished it more than once. The attached photo shows the old gun after one of it's refinishes.
    Very nice! What grit media did you use?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

IIRC, I used the Brownells 270+ on this one, then did a brush finish on the slide flats.

No worries on using a “stainless steel only” blast cabinet. Never experienced defects on bare stainless surfaces due to a cabinet where ferrous metals or alloys were mixed. It does require a lot of really good masking and attention in order to protect surfaces from being bead blasted that shouldn’t be bead blasted. Bore, cylinder chambers, action internal surfaces, etc. Sounds a lot easier than actual to do correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Gulp. I just looked at the cost of the Brownells beads - I think I’ll farm this out! Oh, well.
    That was partially the reason I sent my Ruger New Vaquero convertible out...

Was originally polished... and if you don’t keep up on it, finish looks like crap in short order. I maintain my firearms, but I don’t have the time to sit down and polish them.

Long Hunter Shooting Supply did the work (I tossed the hammer on). No idea on specifics, or if they work on S/Ws or modern revolvers. I may get a second Ruger, likely a shorter barrel Birdshead, and do a similar job to it.

Site Supporter
    I'd leave it alone or pay money to have it processed at a shop that does gun refinishing.

User Tag List