Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt "Peacekeeper"

No Colt support for Mark V's, at least when I called Colt CS and asked a few years ago. I replaced firing pin springs last year and picked up a set of spare firing pins from GPC for both my Mk V Lawman and Trooper.

As cited, those Peacekeepers were mostly strike period guns, just like the matte finished (parkerized looking) Colt Agents and Detectives of the strike era. Seen plenty of those guns that got out the door with off center barrels and poor timing.

My Lawman Mk V was such a strike gun, out of time and badly off center front sight. Karl Sokol reworked it for me about 5 years ago and re-clocked the barrel and fixed the timing, new hand, etc. It is a really good shooter now but I don't dry fire my Colts anymore.

The gun you have sounds like a late model Mk V Peacekeeper. Those are a bit of a grail gun for Colt aficionados, as well as being a nice .357 duty pistol in its own right. It's basically a less expensively finished Trooper Mk V, OEM was with a rubber fingergroove grip, with Colt medallions (they look like Pachmyers).

Other than springs, there's not a lot that can be done to these pistol's action components to further tune them, as the key components are only surface-hardened.

I would not extensively dry-fire it, but it's certainly a good duty/self-defense revolver.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-15-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Not only is the above advice about not dry firing the gun due to firing pin breakage very good advice, but Colt is no longer repairing Trooper MK III models. I am not sure about the Mk V models, including the Peacemaker.
    I’m truly glad to have started this post; besides receiving top advice, I couldn’t see anywhere else this topic elaborated this further.

Thumbs up!

Lt. Castillo used one. What more do you need?

These were produced by Colt during one of their periods of QC decline. I've always been rather "meh" on the Mk III and V guns.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-15-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I saw and handled many of these revolvers. I did not associate them with strikes although that fact very well could be the case. On some the fit and finish were terrible. During WW2 when Webley had ceased commercial production and was hurriedly turning out revolvers, the company had the words "wartime finish" stamped on their product. The finish still showed that the company took pride in their work.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The gun you have sounds like a late model Mk V Peacekeeper. Those are a bit of a grail gun for Colt aficionados, as well as being a nice .357 duty pistol in its own right. It's basically a less expensively finished Trooper Mk V, OEM was with a rubber fingergroove grip, with Colt medallions (they look like Pachmyers).

Other than springs, there's not a lot that can be done to these pistol's action components to further tune them, as the key components are only surface-hardened.

I would not extensively dry-fire it, but it's certainly a good duty/self-defense revolver.

Best, Jon
    If I’d had any idea it would be a grail gun, I would’ve hung on to mine. I sold it for something like $400 (box, papers & all) back in ’03 to finance my first set of cordless tools. Back then I didn’t know Colt had dropped out of the DA market and was thrilled at what I got for it.

It was OK. Like most coil spring guns, the DA trigger sucked.

They made a variation called “The Whitetailer” which was factory-scoped with 6” (or was it 8”?). Now that I imagine is a true grail gun for Colt DA collectors.

The Whitetailer was a blued eight-inch vent-barreled Trooper MK V with a Burris 1.5-4X scope in Millet rings that shipped in a metal case. The rings were unusual in that the top half of each ring has a sight on it. The rear sight has a notch and the front sight has a ramp.

My first Colt revolver was a six-inch .357 Trooper MK III. Great gun that I bought in the late 1980s for $300. Sold it for much more when Colt DA revolver prices went insane. Most unusual revolver I had was a Trooper MK III chambered in .22 LR and finished in Coltguard (electroless nickel).
    Last edited by farscott; 03-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Whitetailer was a blued eight-inch vent-barreled Trooper MK V with a Burris 1.5-4X scope in Millet rings that shipped in a metal case. The rings were unusual in that the top half of each ring has a sight on it. The rear sight has a notch and the front sight has a ramp.

My first Colt revolver was a six-inch .357 Trooper MK III. Great gun that I bought in the late 1980s for $300. Sold it for much more when Colt DA revolver prices went insane. Most unusual revolver I had was a Trooper MK III chambered in .22 LR and finished in Coltguard (electroless nickel).
    At least some of the Whitetailers wore the parkeized.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Lt. Castillo used one. What more do you need?

These were produced by Colt during one of their periods of QC decline. I've always been rather "meh" on the Mk III and V guns.
    When my clever system for winning the lottery pays off, I'm going to collect an example of each of the guns carried by the main characters in Miami Vice.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List