Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VP9 Slide Doesn’t Close Completely After Loading

VP9 Slide Doesn’t Close Completely After Loading

I’ll preface this by saying I’m a new shooter, so I’m still getting comfortable with how different guns work. But I experienced something yesterday I wanted to ask about.

I’m trying out various models of 9mm’s - mostly full to compact (not planning on carrying at this time) - to see what works well for me. So I was at the range yesterday and rented a VP9. I liked it a lot and shot it quite well. But I noticed that each time I inserted a loaded magazine and racked, the slide did not close all the way. It was about 1” or so short. It was simple to close the slide the rest of the way, but it seems like that should happen naturally as part of racking (no other gun I’ve used has experienced this). I had no issues shooting, loading or anything. Other than the slide not closing that first time, it performed flawlessly.

So my question is: is this a problem with the gun itself? Perhaps it’s in need of cleaning? Or did I not rack it with enough force to get the spring compressed enough?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd bet a six pack the gun just needed cleaning and lube. If you racked it hard enough to release the slide that's hard enough. Maybe it needed an issue addressed, but it's not indicative of the VP9 or any other quality striker fired pistol like Glock, M&P or several others. Range guns are abused pretty hard, they don't get serviced and usually get fed the cheapest crap ammo the customer can buy there.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 03-15-2019 at 06:44 AM.

FWIW I would find someone with a new one versus a range rental in the department of reliability/functionality testing. Range guns get beaten to shit.

If I was handed an m16 (do they use M4s now?) USMC rifle that's seen a couple tours and training facilities I'd think the AR-15 was a disaster of a firearm.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-15-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Did you pull the slide back and released it to slam home, or did you ride it with your hand?

If the former, it's probably dirty and dry so at the very least it needs a few drops of oil on the slide rails.

If the latter, stop doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Did you pull the slide back and released it to slam home, or did you ride it with your hand?

If the former, it's probably dirty and dry so at the very least it needs a few drops of oil on the slide rails.

This.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have 6,500 rounds through my VP9. I have repeatedly had the gun not go into battery after firing 400 rounds or so without cleaning or lube. I can always push it into battery with my strong hand thumb.

I would guess the gun you were shooting was dry and dirty.

Only 400 and it's not locking? Dam son, I abuse mine way more than that.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

Thanks to everyone who replied. I’m quoting this post because I love the delivery.

It’s not the latter. I wasn’t slamming it home. I was gently closing it after I had pulled the slide back and let it go. The releasing didn’t get it all the way home.

From all the replies, it does seem like I had a dirty gun. That’s good to know, because I liked the way it felt and, as I said, I shot well with it. Very consistent grouping. After I got used to sighting it properly, pretty accurate, too!

Still want to try the full size (4”) M&P9 (the 3.6 was nice too but I wasn’t as consistent with it. Probably due to the lighter weight) and the full size P320. But the VP9 is the front runner right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I’m quoting this post because I love the delivery.

It’s not the latter. I wasn’t slamming it home. I was gently closing it after I had pulled the slide back and let it go. The releasing didn’t get it all the way home.

From all the replies, it does seem like I had a dirty gun. That’s good to know, because I liked the way it felt and, as I said, I shot well with it. Very consistent grouping. After I got used to sighting it properly, pretty accurate, too!

Still want to try the full size (4”) M&P9 (the 3.6 was nice too but I wasn’t as consistent with it. Probably due to the lighter weight) and the full size P320. But the VP9 is the front runner right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you I'll be here all week. And don't forget to tip your waitress.

I have four VP9B pistols, that I compete with and carry. I have shot one or more of them most every day since November, give them a pass with a boresnake and a bit of lube once a month, and have yet to experience the first bobble with any of them. Approaching 20,000 rounds for the four, without a single issue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List